Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with the hal.dll error......

• Please log in to reply

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yea im using the USB Network for the internet...

i have a disc that came with my comp that has the following drivers...

PCI/O Drivers
Network Cards Drivers
Sound Cards Drivers

but yesterday i tried updating all my devices that were yellow in the device manager with the above disc and all of them scanned the disc and said it couldnt find the drivers.. so i guess its the wrong drivers?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can get you online first. Did you get a disk with the USB network device? If you did, run the installer from that to fire up the USB network device. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can round up the driver for it.

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yea.. but my computer is the main one and has the router and everything.. when i first hooked mine up i used a different disc which is giving me the configuration error.. should i use the disc i used for the other computers evan though mine isnt wireless?

also the internet works on all the other computers on the network its just mine thats down...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The WinAudit report shows the drivers haven't been installed for the USB Network Device (among others). The following from the report are the devices I' concerned with for the moment.

2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet
Item Value
Device Type Other devices
Device Name
Description 2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet
Manufacturer
Location 2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet
Driver Provider
Driver Version
Driver Date
Status Code 28
Status Message Code 28: The drivers for this device are not installed.

Ethernet Controller
Item Value
Device Name
Description Ethernet Controller
Manufacturer
Location PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0
Driver Provider
Driver Version
Driver Date
Status Code 28

Multimedia Audio Controller
Item Value
Device Name
Description Multimedia Audio Controller
Manufacturer
Location PCI bus 0, device 30, function 2
Driver Provider
Driver Version
Driver Date
Status Code 28

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Item Value
Device Name
Description Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Manufacturer
Location PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
Driver Provider
Driver Version
Driver Date
Status Code 28

Do you have the drivers for these? If not, we may have to grab an Everest report to get a little more information on the devices in question.

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the drivers for the 2wire are on a disc but when i try to install everything it gives me a configuration error everytime.. when i looked in my program files my entire 2way folder is gone so i guess it was deleted while re-installing windows...

as far as all the other devices.. the only drivers i have are the ones on the disc i posted earlier and when i tried updating the drivers from the disc it just says cant find them.. so i guess they're not the right ones...

ill go ahead and d/l everest right now....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good plan...generate a HTML report, zip it, and e-mail it to me.

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
just sent it off...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The attached file is installation instructions for the 2Wire Network Adapter...you say you have the CD, correct? Looks like maybe the errors are due to an incorrect install order?

For the Audio Drivers, go HERE and download the analog set...NOT the SoundBlaster set.

Hope this helps... :whistling:

Attached Files

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks that was a HUGE step forward.. for the internet all i had to do was put the 2wire disc in and "update drivers" now it works good...

the audio driver did the trick all my audio now works...

so now all thats yellow is the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) & Ethernet Controller .. also whenever i move a window or anything its extremely choppy like never before is it because of the video controller drivers?

thanks again though its nice to have the internet and sound once again :whistling:

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
also is the Video Controller drivers for my video card?

Edited by hype85, 18 April 2006 - 07:00 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For your Graphic card, go back to the Dell link I gave you and click on Video Drivers...download nVidia 256MB PCI Express x16 GeForce 6800. Don't install yet.

Also download these Chipset Drivers. Don't install yet.

Check in Add or Remove Programs for any nVidia drivers that may be installed. If you find any, uninstall them and reboot. Disconnect from the internet and disable the Anti Virus...the AV will gink the video driver install.

Install the Chipset Drivers first. Read the instructions toward the bottom of the page.

Then install the Video drivers. Again...follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how this goes...

Edited by wannabe1, 18 April 2006 - 07:35 PM.

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i gotta go out to dinner but as soon as i come back im gonna do it.. thanks again for taking time to do all this....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My Pleasure... :whistling:

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well it looks like everything is pretty much back to normal :blink:

the only thing thats in yellow now is the Ethernet Controller.. i looked on the dell link and i couldnt find that one.. well either way thanks again for everything.. its nice to have my comp back :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to the Dell link, expand "Network Drivers", and downloand Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller...bottom download on the downoload page. That should about do it!

Good that you finally have your machine back...how's it running?