Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall MSN Messenger

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

For about a year and a half, I have been using MSN explorer as my primary web browser but am recently having trouble with this software. The main problem is that it will not fully uninstall itself.

The story....

We had been using version 7.2 for the longest time on a high speed connection. When we moved into a new apartment about five months ago, we discovered the new complex did not offer high speed internet of any kind (OK, we could get a satellite setup, but that's expensive). Now, of course, we had to go with a dialup :tazz: connection. In the MSN Explorer software, we setup a dial up connection which was a very easy process. A week and a half later, we received an update for the browser. I ran the CD and upgraded from 7.2 to version 8.0. Version 8.0 is only available if you have an internet connection through Microsoft. Soon thereafter, high speed internet became available in our area so we quickly cancelled our subscription with Microsoft. I set up the high speed internet connection and had no trouble getting online with IE. When trying to get online with MSN Explorer, however, it was quick to remind me that MSN Explorer 8.0 was accessible by subscription only. I knew this so uninstalled the software. Then, I re-installed the version 7.2 by doing "Add Windows Components" from the control panel. The software installed but when it pulled up the screen for setup....it still had our account information listed on the screen!?! When I tried to set it up for use on the high speed internet, it displayed an error message, "We have determined that there is already a dial up account on this computer". I then deleted both accounts, one for me and one for my wife, and then uninstalled the software again from Add/Remove programs in the control panel. I rebooted and installed version 7.2 from the Microsoft website. When the program loaded for the first time, it still, to my disbilief, showed my wifes account on screen (my account was not in the list). I told the software to "Add New User" and tried to setup my account. It says that this account already exists on this computer and can not be re-created. When trying to use my wifes account, it still gives me the dial up error message.

Even though it says it has been uninstalled succesfully, I know it is leaving a file somewhere on my system that has our account information and defaults to a dial up connection. Does anyone know how I can find a file like this? Until I delete the file left behind from version 8.0, I may not be able to run my favorite browser.

Advertisements

pinksugarprincess

pinksugarprincess

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ooooh that sounds evil!

Did you try to delete them manually? or via "remove programs"? If you haven't already, I'd try manual removal of the program. If its really REALLY bugging you, you could always put everything on discs and wipe the hard drive? (perhaps a bit extreme, but it works for hardcore spyware removal!)

thats all I can think of... good luck! :tazz:

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I uninstalled the programs via the "Add/Remove Programs" program in the control panel. I have checked to see if there is any reference to the MSN software or a folder with MSN files and/or folders in Program Files but there isn't. I thought I stumbled onto something when I found a hidden file called msnmsn.inf, but deleting it did nothing to help the situation. In the file, which I could open with notepad, I saw instructions for install and uninstall routines. There were two of these files in two different locations with what seemed to be identical data.

No luck so far on the repair and I don't need that browser bad enough to format my drive like that. I'm going to have to find that file I mentioned in my first post. I tried using the Firefox browser as most computer geeks are using it these days (I think), but I wasn't that crazy about it. I have resorted back to the standard IE explorer for the time being.

I can't believe they would have the uninstall process leave files such as this on my HD.

Thanks for your help thus far. I hope to resolve this problem soon and will post any and all updates. If anyone has any other bright idea, just let me know. Thanks,

JaW22

JaW22

• Pip
  • 9 posts
K hope u are ready for this. You are going to need to do a little searching around, but this is where all the settings are stored. Ready....

Go to my computer and then click on your main drive.
Go to the top click on tools and then folder options
Click the view tab. then select Show Hidden files and folders

Next...

Click Documents and Settings Folder
Then u should see Application Data Folder Semi transparent because it was hidden.
Hopefully u see MSN Explorer in there..

Tell me what u find.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
No Problem:

I'm at work right now, but will try when I get home and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully this will get me up and running again.

Thanks,

Will post soon :tazz:

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Update:

I am still not in business. I did find a hidden MSN folder under my user name as per instructions provided by jaw22. I even took the time to do a search for all msn files and deleted the ones I knew I could safely get rid of. I reinstalled the software and it immediately opened the welcome screen and displayed my wifes information. When I told it to "Add New User", it said that the services were down and I would have to try later. That's better than the dial up error message I guess.

Right now, I am performing a system search looking for any files containing the text of my wife's user name. I see many temporary internet files, some word documents, and a backup copy of my system's registry. Ah, could this be it. Could the information be in the registry?

Boys and girls, I'm fixing to go outside, have a smoke, clear my head, and then operate on the heart of my system. I may or may not make changes. I'll post more by tonight.

Wish me luck. I may need it.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I am sorry it took me so long to post a reply. I hated to leave you all hanging.

I did delete the information in the registry and the computer failed to boot properly after that. I restored the backup I made and all was well again.

I can't say that I'm having troubles anymore however, as I have given up on trying to install the MSN Explorer Web Browser. I'm just running IE for now. I'll try to reinstall MSN Explorer after I format my system next time.

Thank you all for all of your help. If anyone can think of antying else I might try, just let me know. I'd love to get my favorite browser running again.

Thanks,

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you know what registry information you deleted?

As I understand it, you want to eliminate the previous dial up settings?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I deleted three lines from the registry I think. However, I restored the registry because the system would boot after those lines were deleted. As it is now, all of the lines regarding MSN Explorer have been restored.

So, in theory, since it was restored...it's as if nothing has been deleted.

Are you saying I should delete lines in the registry about the dial up connection? I had already deleted the actual connection from the "Network Connections" program under the control panel.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Been ridiculously busy lately, but haven't forgotten you....

You didn't respond to this:

"As I understand it, you want to eliminate the previous dial up settings?"

I need a goal to strive for :tazz:

I went ahead and monitored an installation of MSN Explorer and you would be stunned at how many changes it makes to your resitry---several hundred additions

I believe that the advice you got above is basically sound in that you removed the appropritate folders to achieve half of what you desired, but there are certain key registry settings that would have been unaffected.

What I need to know is where we want to go with this