Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noob question: Laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi,
im trying to repair my brother's laptop (a sony pcg-tr1ap) because his hard drive has gone bad. But when i opened it up i encountered a hard drive that ive never seen before. I was able to find a picture of it on the web, but i still dont know what kind it is? i.e. is it a ata-6 ata-5.

on the website i found its listed as an 8mm hard drive.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what kind of hard drive this is?

here is a picture.

Posted Image

plz let me know what you know. im new to fixing laptops.
thanks
Kalian

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Kalian

The hard disk is known as a 2.5 inch drive. They generally have slower rotational speeds than desktop drives (typically 4200rpm or 5400rpm). The ATA mode they use will vary depending on what the drive itself & the laptop can support.

All laptop drives are 2.5IN but there is some variation in thickness so make sure the replacement drive matches the old one.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi samm,

i'm a little confused. the website i found this on advertises it as an 8mm or 1.8" hard drive.

i had originally purchased an ata-6 2.5in hard drive and it was about an inch too big so i thought 1.8in sounded right (if measured with a ruler). I had to pay a 15% restocking fee to return it. so now i want to act cautiously before i go out and try to buy another one.

im trying to find an official name for this hard drive type because its hard for me to find a market for it that i can compare it to. sony only redirects me to their parts store when i ask them.

here is a link for this hard drive. i found it thru google by searching "tr1ap hard drive"

http://www.impactcom...82-425-01.html#

There are 1.8in hard drives out there but when i search for them i find them with pins. The hard drive on this one is socketed.

when i search "microdrive" i find hard drives for mp3 players and other fast medias such as ipods and irivers.

any more input would be appreciated

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try searching:1.8" hard drive laptop. There are 1.8" hard driver for the smallest laptops and there are tousands of places to buy them on the net.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the drive. Looks the same as yours.

http://sdd.toshiba.c...000659c0000223d

I guess there is only a few people selling them as i can't find them on the well known internet sellers.

SRX660