Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What instruction sets does my CPU support?

• Please log in to reply

rmco2003

rmco2003

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've been looking at my CPU related information through EVEREST and in the Motherboard section under CPU Properties it says "Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3", I'd like to see which sets out of those my CPU supports, I've got an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz processor with Hyper-threading, could someone help me out?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ones it shows should be the ones you have, its been a while since i used everest though so i cant be 100%(i stopped using it when they discontinued it). You can always look up your core type on the intel website if you want to check.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Sandra works perfectly for this sort of thing.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I found out through a CPU benchmark program called Rightmark CPU that I can process the SSE3 instruction set, quite suprising really since I wasn't even aiming for it to be able to do that when I bought it, so it's more of an added bonus for me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its pretty much standard these days so its not surprising.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It was for me :whistling: I've been using an old 2.4 Ghz one since Christmas and I wasn't really focusing on new CPU features, I was mainly concerned with new GPU features, but I had to upgrade my CPU to avoid bottlenecking with my new Graphics Card, which annoyingly enough is already out of date by at least a year or two :blink:

Edited by rmco2003, 17 April 2006 - 10:28 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol. cant say ive ever had that problem as ive been an AMD man and they have used the SSE3 for years on most of the CPUs, its pretty hard to keep up with the technology so you just get what you can when you can and hope it enough to play your games and run all the nice software.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Lol, that's the story of my life :whistling: