Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unavailable Features on "free" Kerio

• Please log in to reply

Nick052

Nick052

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I downloaded Kerio firewall as an alternative to Zone Alarm, and find it much more stable and user friendly for use on wireless networks.

However, my 30 day trial of the full-blown version is due to expire in 2 days.

Wondered if it was worth purchasing the full version for good (costs $19.95), or if there is no point.

There is only one feature in the full version I use that would not be in the free version. This is:

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System

Am I likely to miss this - all of the other stuff that is missing in the free version I either did not use (Content Filtering) or apply to networks (e.g. remote admin, syslogs etc).

Cheers.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

and find it much more stable and user friendly for use on wireless networks.

<<I think that answers your question.

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do have a wireless network, but only one PC. I simply have an ADSL modem router that transmits the signal from the phone point to my PC.

I have made the wireless network secure in Windows, and I have a firewall on the router itself.

I am assuming you think this "Host-based Intrusion Prevention System" is worth having on a wireless network? What are the actual chances of my wirless network being "hacked", and is it worth paying this charge (plus a yearly subscription charge) to prevent something happening which might not do in the first place?

If someone did hack my wireless network, what could they see? Would they just be able to access my internet account etc?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

I have a very similar network set up, but share my network with the lady downstairs. I have used ZoneAlarm with no problems for over a year now and have not had any stability problems. The pro-version is very easy to set up and most of the default install selections are right on the money.

If you have the network router set securely, firewall running, it is then just a matter of personal preferences and experiences. I only like ZoneAlarm because it keeps all the PC ports stealthed and mostly runs unattended.

Just like some recommendations for anti-virus software, I have clamwin, avast, and avg all running, no conflicts for years. Just got 'em scheduled to do their thing at different times.

Ron

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

I am assuming you think this "Host-based Intrusion Prevention System" is worth having on a wireless network? What are the actual chances of my wirless network being "hacked", and is it worth paying this charge (plus a yearly subscription charge) to prevent something happening which might not do in the first place?

I think your current set-up that you have now is working well for you, and I would continue with that. As long as you have your wireless connection secure (meaning that no one else can sign onto it except you), I think you are good to go.

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Many thanks for the replies.

I have decided to make do with the free version of Kerio when my trial runs out.

Like you say, my wireless network is secure and I have a firewall on my router anyway, so cannot justify the charges of keeping the full version.

In response to Ron, I have used ZoneAlarm for years on another PC not on a wireless network, although I found it to cause problems on my wireless one which is why I switched to Kerio. I too use Avast and think its excellent.

There are lots of good free software out there - SpyBlaster, Ad-aware, Kerio and Avast, yet I bet there are some people without even a firewall!

Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

...yet I bet there are some people without even a firewall!

You're right. Kinda scary to think about it. PC World ran a test with several brand new PCs right out of the box. Put them all on the Internet for 15 minutes. Everyone one of them had malware problems within that short period of time. Default settings definately have shortcomings. :whistling:

Ron