Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Recovery happening for no reason

• Please log in to reply

vlad71

vlad71

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Twice in the last 24 hours I have sat down at my PC to see the message "Registry Recovery - One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy". The PC was on but not online during the time I was away. I don't think the PC rebooted...all programs were closed and I found the message over the desktop. I checked the Event Viewer and the only entry was for the message popup itself, no other errors or events in the log at the time of the occurence. Here is the complete event log for the latest occurence:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 4/17/2006
Time: 5:02:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Again, at 5:02 AM, no one was using the PC, it was not conncected to the internet and no programs were running.

I've backed up anything important from my C: just to be safe. Any ideas what I should look for? Thanks a million in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Quick question: Do I need the CD to run SFC? I know that WFP will look for the CD if it can't find someting in dllcache but do I actually need the CD begin the process? Because I am still looking for my CD (really do have one....just can't find it) but tried SFC without it and every time it looks like a DOS window opens and closes quickly and thats it. Nothing running in the Task Manager and no activity onscreen. Like the process immediately aborts.

Also, if I can't find my Cd quickly, should I go on to the next step of your troubleshooting?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes to both

Click skip if it asks for the CD, click cancel if it asks more than a few times

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks Keith! So far, so good. Has not happened again in the last 48 hours.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith! Another week gone by and still no re-occurence. I think you took care of it. Thanks again!

imc computer consulting

imc computer consulting

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the tune up 2008 did the trick for me after trying everything short of a system restore
Kudos to Retired Staff :)

Chief2992

Chief2992

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I normally don't take time to register for these forums. I have been all over the internet only to find oodles and oodles of posts on how to fix this annoying problem. Nobody seemed to know for certain - and there were some suggestions that the RAM needed to be replaced (don't do this). The only definitive cure for this problem is from Hats Off - back in 2006. I just did exactly as he said last night (except used Tune Up 2008 Trial) and IT WORKED. THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED. THANK YOU HATS OFF!!!!

I am usually pretty good with my computer, but I have to admit this was one of the most annoying bugs ever. Again, Thank you,
nick

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Edited by Chief2992, 23 June 2008 - 09:34 PM.

Chief2992

Chief2992

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:) :)

Well, I hate to reply to myself and say that I was wrong, but I was. After a while the symptoms started again. Then there were also various other errors with internet explorer (had to close quite frequently), and intermittent bugs with other programs. To make a long story short, anyone who said that it could be BAD RAM was correct. I replaced the Samsung RAM that came with the machine with Crucial RAM just today. All symptoms have gone. The computer runs fine again (like new).

So if you are getting the "beep" and the registry backup error message - I would say that it can most definitely be BAD RAM. You can try the solution by Hats Off. but it may only be temporary fix. It seems to solve the problems for the time being, but other errors keep happening.

I will update this post in a month or so.

Advertisements

Chief2992

Chief2992

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem was definitely BAD RAM. I have had no problems since I replaced my ram.

LiberiFatali

LiberiFatali

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have this problem now (2nd times in my life :)). It happens after i installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. I will try all solutions here and let u know

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
LiberiFatali

It would be best that you create your own topic. If you stay in this 1 you will get "lost"

You can test memory with "memtest86"

LiberiFatali

LiberiFatali

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I solved this problem by downloading TuneUp 2008 then using its Registry Repair and Defrag utility ^_^

No Evidence

No Evidence

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I solved this problem by downloading TuneUp 2008 then using its Registry Repair and Defrag utility ^_^

Worked for me too! TuneUp 2008, repair and defrag, reboot and gone! Thanks!