Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
;) Well since the time I changed from Windows ME to XP I seem to have got away without having serious problem but one has turned up now. I get the blue screen with the warning that Windows has been shut down for safety reasons and that I need to scan my drive for errors. The problem is when I try to scan the drive I am told that I need to restart so I go round in circles. I can only start in 'The last known good configuration' which enables me to at least ask for help. I can't start in safe mode or any other. I used 'Madboot' to see if it might help but I was told 'Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up space on your Windows drive. (The drive has 10.8GB free) If that doesn't work you will need to install Windows to a new directory' :tazz: The blue screen fault notice says ***STOP:(0XF8BOD528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000) :thumbsup:
Something that accompanies this problem when I do load in the last good configuration is a message that new hardware has been found when I havn't installed any recently. It goes ahead and installs it (Standard Open HCD USB controller) each time and asks to reboot, (there is also a message that says the new hardware might not work properly) I say 'no' about the restart and am able to carry on. I have looked in Device Manager where under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers there are two yellow exclamation marks next to (1) Primary ID channel (2) Secondary ID channel. And under 'Universal serial bus there are three (1)Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller. Same with (2)&(3) underneath.
I don't know if I am dealing with a conflict of some kind or a virus. (I have scanned the whole system with AVG and Adaware with no result). Please tell me I don't need to reinstall (only if it's true). Thanks,

Steve.

Advertisements

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Well I thought I'd better get back to you on this one before anyone spends time thinking about it. I will have to answer my own question as I have solved the problem. ;) I can't really say that I am technically minded but I thought of taking out the usb2 connections (only after I had backed up most of my files getting ready to format the drive). Booted up again turned off refitting the card and walla, it worked. It might have been obvious to some of you out there but new problems always seem very complex to a non techi. I'm relieved I havn't waisted anyones time and who knows it might even be useful info to someone :tazz:

Steve.