Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't open certain websites

• Please log in to reply

nige72

nige72

• Pip
  • 3 posts
whenever I try and open any forums by gcwebservices it tells me that the page cannot be found. I use 2 forums with the same provider and both won't open

I've downloaded mozilla firefox and get the same problem with that

every other site opens as normal

the site address opens as normal in the address bar but then says the page is unavailable and when I look at the properties it fails to open as the url is actually

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://gcwebservices.co.uk/fcuforum/index.php

also on properties I get

protocol: unknown protocol

type: not availabe

connection: not encrypted

size: not available

created: not available

modified: not available

I've run hijack this numerous times, numerous spyware/malware programs, winsock fixers and I think basically anything that can be downloaded and run I have run.

I have tried turning firewall, anti virus program and pop up stopper off.

It's like something in the registry is blocking addresses with gcwebservices in the address

help

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
I'm wondering if it could be more simple than we're making it out to be. Try these simple things:

1) clear your temporary internet files (Tools -> Settings -> Delete Files)
2) flush your DNS by doing the following:

Go to Start -> Run -> type CMD
In the command line type: ipconfig /flushdns

nige72

nige72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for that, unfortunately after following your instructions nothing has changed