Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with windows media player and opera

• Please log in to reply

2cvsoo

2cvsoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi there. as something of a human tech-free zone, i really need help with the following:

this morning i tried to open an aphoto attached to an email. a window appeared asking which program to open the photo with. the existing prog was opera and the file a text file. so, i tried to change it by looking for something more appropriate. however, i think i must have 'chosen' windows media player, which told me that it couldn't open the file.

now, however, WMP appears every time i try to do anything in opera. if i try and open a web page, i get the following message - roughly translated from the spanish (I am currently in Colombia): "WMP cannot play the file. It is possible the the Player does not support the file type or the codec (I don't know if this is correct in English) used to compress the file." Under "more info" an error code appears: COOD1199.

i tried changing the compatible files in the File Types tab of WMP Tools--> Options menu, first selecting all, then deselecting all, restarting the computer each time. But same problem persists. My PC account shows me as an administrator.

i downloaded Opera a few days ago after the PC was reformatted, so presumably it is the latest version. when I try to open "About Opera" in the Opera Help menu, the same WMP message appears. i have successfully opened the photo attachment via Internet Explorer, which is working normally.

if this is overly long or detailed, please accept the apologies of a computer novice, and her thanks in advance for any help given.

Advertisements