Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The new ASRock mobo

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
ASRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1697 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157087

I want 2 know wat u guys think about this mobo ..is it worth gettin?

it has pcie-x4 and is am2 ready ..... all 4 under 100buks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not AM2 ready because it is a 939 pin motherboard, The am2 chips need an AM2 sicket which uses 940 pins. It looks allright but Asrock is a cheaper brand they arent bad if thats all you can afford.

I would probably go for the gigabyte boards like this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128268. Gigabyte is cheap and high quality.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Looks ok. It wasn too clear in SLI does it run at 16 x or 32x? Looks like cooling might be an issue if you run in sli and have your other slot filled up. Also, it sounds as though people are having problems with the onboard audio. Also, I read that people were having some BIOS issues. You might wanna read up some more on this board before you commit to buying it.
-P.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
its supports am2 warriorscot ...read .....i have read about issues but i heard a update fixed them. and it can support a physics processor

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
It looks quite gd but if your wanting SLI i would get a better make like warriorscot said.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think its ECS that makes the rather cool but utterly impractical boards with "CPU boards" they just dont work and wouldnt give the performance of a true AM2 board. The CPU board thing is just impractical its basically a way to scam people into getting there boards thinking they will have a viable upgrade path but it rarely works that way.

CPU boards have so many issues its not funny, they just dont work.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Ya i was readin about nvidia fazing out Sli on ULi w/ newer cards so thats a problem ....but wats a decent full Sli mobo then with support for sata2 and with a Pci-ex slot for physics processors?

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
there you go:
http://www.msicomput...SLI-FI&class=mb

oh well I like ATI but its personal preference the Nvidia cards proform better but hey.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well its actually hard NOT to find an SLI mobo with sata2 and a PCI-e slot(usually one which isnt great) but SLI isnt that good anyway, its not a viable upgrade option and unless you have a high resolution montior you dont really get the benefit. So a non SLI is better for most and you get the PCI-e slots for the newer add on cards.

In terms of gfx cards mid range nvidia is better top end ATI is still king of the roost for like the 3rd year running. Also i wouldnt but into physx processors right now, in its current configuration its going to be a hard sell only a handful of games say they will support it, i think it will only become popular if they go through with integrating it into gfx cards. You wont catch me paying 200 an change for a physx card just so UT2007 can put proper physics on 4million pebbles instead of 1 i would rather buy a nice dual core, or better yet a new gfx card.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
so wats a solid mobo with tons of options but a good price

and is there a great single card mobo 4 939

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Like i said its so hard not to find them, almost every company makes them, MSI, DFI, ABIT, Gigabyte etc. etc. all make great Nforce 4 boards packed full of options, if you can you want nforce 4 ultra its got the most features but normal nforce4 does the job.

There is also the ATI chipsets out now they are ok as well but only the really new ones have SATA2 support. But yeah lots of choice.