Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where do i buy 7900 GTX without buying off the internet?

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Help me

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Like i said in the other thread the internet is the safest and cheapest way to get it, reference the comments in the other thread to get the whole thing.

Also if youre UK then the X1900XTX while not only being a faster card it is also like £50 cheaper at least.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 April 2006 - 04:47 PM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Huh, how dare you. 7900GTX is the fastest card in existance.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Read the reviews the 7900GTX is slower than the x1900XTX in alot of things, its VIVO features arent as advanced, ATI drivers are at the moment very good and usually considered better than nvidias, the x1900 can run AA and HDR which is a big thing with most new games using or planning to use HDR thats a big factor.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Bah, I can overclock easily with that 7900GTX

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
You post for help and then throw warriorscot's advice back in his face? Listen to the people on these boards, they know what they are talking about. But if you want to spend big bucks on a video card because the name GTX sounds better than GT, fine be me. Go nuts.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Im really upset now. PLEASE tell me. Is there anything the 7900GTX can do that the X1900XTX can't. I need to know of at least one X1900XTX drawback. Btw, ppl say ATi can do HDR and AA. My X1300 can't do both at the same time.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats because the x1300 is a low end card not designed for playing games, therefore not dessgned to use either AA or HDR its just not fast enough to run them, i can run HDR and AA no HL2 but i dont usually as running both results in a big performance dip.

No the x1900XTX has only advantages over the 7900, and the AA and HDR thing is a HUGE disadvantage for the 7900 for such an expensive card, i certainly wouldnt buy one especially considering an X1900XTX is cheaper.

I really dont get it, not only can you find a better card but its cheaper wheres the problem.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 April 2006 - 03:15 PM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I always thought that the 7900GTX was the best graphics card in existance.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

You post for help and then throw warriorscot's advice back in his face? Listen to the people on these boards, they know what they are talking about. But if you want to spend big bucks on a video card because the name GTX sounds better than GT, fine be me. Go nuts.

Agreed :whistling:

Huh, how dare you. 7900GTX is the fastest card in existance.

I know it's been a while since this topic was active, but I'd just like to say that although the 7900GTX is nearly the best nvidia card in existence, the X1900XTX does eek out a minor victory in performance. I am an nvidia fan myself. I feel they are more stable of a card and easier to overclock in general. I don't really feel like supporting my claim with any evidence. Just take my word for it. haha! :blink:

just my two cents...

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
People only look at the video card to decide which one to buy...you know people there are a lot of other factors which determine if a video card is more stable then another...for example: compatibility with the rest of the hardware components...

:whistling: right?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

People only look at the video card to decide which one to buy...you know people there are a lot of other factors which determine if a video card is more stable then another...for example: compatibility with the rest of the hardware components...

:whistling: right?

Of course. You not only need the right wattage power supply, but you also need to consider how many amps are going the the +12V channel (is 'channel' the right word here?). For any card above the 6200, you should have at least 20A going through the +12V.

Also consider the motherboard's chipset. For example, my mobo has and nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset so I decided to go with and Nvidia card, and I have been very proud of my purchase doing so.

If you don't consider these factors, will your card still work? Sure! But, not as well.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Mobo chipset has naff all to do with card performance an Nvidia card wont work any better in an nforce or a via or a ATI board, as long as it isnt bottlenecked it will work fine, as far as PSU goes different kettle of fish.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
try your local computer stall

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

try your local computer stall

I dont know where you live but if you are in the usa try bestbuy or circuit city.. Best buy carries all of those cards online but in the store even if its not in stock, they will order it for you and you can pick it up at the store when it comes in..

OR

More expensive way is to goto a custom computer shop and have them order it for you, but you will probably have to pay for it ahead of time or put a deposit on it.. They will give u a recipt or write you out something then when it comes in go get it...