Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
The sound card I got is this one and I am wondering since I got a USB headset, will the sound quality of the headset improve? I wouldn't think so but I never knew...

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I cant imagine it would improve the sound, if anything it would decrease the quality of sound because it has to travel through other wires, devices, etc. and might pick up some static on the way. My perspective on the whole thing.
-P.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Awww, my headset has AC 97(Or whatever its called) and it plugs into the USB adapter and then it plugs it into my computer. Well, it has the AC 97 for the sound and microphone and when I plug the AC 97 into the soundcard, it sounds okay until the microphone is plugged in. I can a loud hiss and it doesn't pick up my microphone, so I plug my mic into my USB adapter and my AC 97 sound for my headset into my soundcard, so I can hear better sound quality(I think it is?) and so the mic can work. Its just kind of irretating.

I tried my speakers though, OMG!!!1111 But I have a headset for a reason, not to wake the parents at night. :whistling:

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

If you are not connecting your heaphones/microphone or headphones+microphone into your sound card directly, or through your speaker system which is connected to your sound card, then you will not receive the sound quality that the sound card provides.

The AC97 you are referring to is the onboard sound card, and that is what is processing your sound to your headphones and microphone. You most likely have both the onboard sound and sound card running, which is kind of redundant, but it works for you.

My personal suggestion would be to trade up from your USB connector headphones to a regualr 1/4" connector headphone setup. This way you can plug directly into your Creative card and improve sound quality. However, the quality will depend on the quality of the headphones too. Your microphone should then also be plugged into the sound card. From there, I would disable the onboard sound card and make everything use the Creative card. But that's my opinion.

Cheers:)

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
How do I disable my motherboard's sound? :whistling:

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

You can disable your onbaord sound in device manager. After looking at my own system though, I've realized that my own onboard sound isn't disabled. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure all your sound devices are being plugged into the Creative sound card and everything should be good.

Cheers:)