Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropped Connection

• Please log in to reply

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I posted this on another board, then four days later, posted it in the waiting roo. When I went back to check today, the HJT logfile I posted as a secondary had been addressed with no evidence of malware, but the original post was gone.

I am continuously having my connection dropped. If I walk away from the computer for 10 minutes or so, My connection will be gone, and I get an error message telling me that there is little or no connectivity. I have to go into Network Connections, repair the connection, then all is right with the world - until I walk away again. I have Windows xp, a cable connection, and no other computers are connected to the internet or to this system. I have unchecked the hibernation mode, and the ability to shut of when idle, but the connection still keeps dropping.

HELP!!!

Advertisements

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Are you using a router? brand? If so, are you using WEP etc.? If yes, try turning it off for testing.
Does this happen to multiple computers?

Make sure so firewalls on the computer are running.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
No, I don't have any of the things you mentioned. There are no other computers hooked up to this one, or the internet. And, yes the firewalls are up and running. The Windows firewall and I also have Zone Alarm.

Yesterday, I couldn't get any pages to load at all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when the connection drops, what are the lights on the cable modem doing?

Your issue could be a lack of signal strength on the line, or it could be internal...we need to break the problem into parts.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I don't have modem as I have had in the past. Everything, phone, cable tv, and internet are all run through a central box. The lights on the box are normal, stay on, and I have no problems with anything else - just the internet.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I have Adelphia cable. A while back, I kept loosing my Internet connection but the tv signal was fine. For weeks I fiddled with everything in the pc and in the house, then I called tech support. The tech went right to a junction connection on the outside of the house. He crimped on new fittings put it back together and it's been fine ever since. Moisture or corrosion probably worked it's way into that 'junction block'.......