Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finding Software application history LOG, Please help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

losted

losted

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,

My OS is windows xp sp2.
Does anyone know where to check your software application history? like a log file or something?
Example: If I ran Warcraft3 and want to check the date of when I ran it, I would look in the history log. If there is no such thing, is there any way to check/manage what applications you ran on your computer in the past?

Thank you for your help

I forgot to add, does system restore restore the application history log as mentioned up there?
Can someone provide exactly what the system restore do to the very details of it please?
Main question is still is there a place to check your software applications you ran in the past?

Edited by losted, 17 April 2006 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi losted...

I know of no application use log native to XP...nor has my research yielded any information on such a utility within Windows. The closest thing to this in Windows is the event log, but it doesn't show actual usage of applications...only error events related to applications that experienced a problem while running. So, unless Warcraft3 had a problem while it was starting or running, it would not be recorded in the event log.

There are third party applications that will do this and I had many hits for these using Google.

System restore "rolls back" the registry to a previous state and will have no effect on logs generated before the restore is initiated.

wannabe1

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you very much!

Is there any recommended third party software from either this site or you? I will google search it myself too, just I find recommended in this site very secure.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at this one...you can try it free. None of the applications for this are free to keep...

Track4Win

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks a lot, I'll look into it. If any other tech knows anything about this, it would be much appreciated.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
As stated in your other thread, we will not be helping you to hide your activities on your computer from your parents. :whistling: This thread is closed, as well.