Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV Monitor

• Please log in to reply

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was just wondering if there is any way that i could use my tv as a monitor for my pc

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
For most computers you will need a video card that has a S-video connector to be able to view the desktop on the TV. Gateway made a computer you could hook up to a TV. ATI has made video cards that have S-video out to view on a TV. Use google for some searching.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From my experience most video cards in the last two or three years have an svideo as standard, you can also get adapter kits for taking VGA or svideo into composite or even scart.

It depends on your card and if you can get hold of the adapters.

But most people can use a tv as a monitor, they arent always as good though old tvs have curved screens which arent as good and generally they have a lower resolution.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Your basic TV has a maximum resolution of 800x600, and yeah, the curviture of the screen plays [bleep] on your eyes.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a really nice LCD out there, 20+", that can support TV input and act as a monitor for your computer. It was really nice. Can't remember for the life of me where I saw it or what brand it was. If anyone knows, throw it out there.

Cheers:)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It depends on your nationality, but most CRT TVs ive used are 1024.768 resolution its need a while since i saw one that used 800x600 but we have higher quality images on our TVs here so that might be the difference.

Mind you if you have a nice LCD it should be fine, i like to use the HD LCD sometimes for games, its seriously immense for gaming.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Mind you if you have a nice LCD it should be fine, i like to use the HD LCD sometimes for games, its seriously immense for gaming.

man...i wish i lived on a scotish university student's salary...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HeHeHe, dont worry it aint mine, Birthday present for my Dad, fortunatley Scottish university hours are pretty flexible leaving time to play games on Big [bleep] lcd tvs(most of the time).

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ooops,

I forgot to add that today's higher-end television sets, like the nice HDTVs, run at higher resolutions. However with widescreen, you're running a 16:9 aspect ratio, but that can usually be changed on either the computer or TV end to make it look better.

Cheers:)