Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleted- Doing XP install

• Please log in to reply

wordsmith07

wordsmith07

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a home server that has NEO 915P MSI motherboard with 3.2Ghz Pentium, 1gig DDR2. I set-up 3 Maxtor 120's SATA with one as C: drive with XP OS and two mirrored as Raid 1 for Server backup (D:)
My problem:
Windows starts to boot for about 8 seconds and then goes back to Bios (Platinum) and wont start in Safe mode or last known good config.
I cant restore with XP and if I try to repair, it says no Windows exists on either drive. (I think it is trying to default to Maxtor drive 0 which is raid paired to drive 2 (no OS on this drive)
XP should be on drive1 (c:) but it wont look there.
To re-install, XP wants to format and partition the drives..I hate to lose all info.
This happened before when I tried to update the bios, I had to format drives and start over.
This time, I noticed server had stopped and was at prompt to start windows . This system was on UPS so no idea what caused loss of system info,\

Please ignore, biting the bullit and doing a re-install, but now CDROM started growling and seems it has broken my XP pro disk and scuffed surface....when it rains it pours.

Edited by wordsmith07, 18 April 2006 - 08:44 PM.

Advertisements