Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello, When I was downloading some files off some less then reputable websites I opened and .exe (I should have known better) and I recieve multiple trojans and a virus. After disinfecting my system of all the files it detected something is still wrong. My backround does not load. It just stays the solid color. If I try to change it all the other options for wallpapers are greyed out. I am guessing this is because my active desktop is not activated. If I am wrong please say so and if you have any advice please share. But I wanted to know how to activate the desktop because there is no button on the desktop to do so. Thank you very much.

I am running Windows XP Home SP2.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Luckey...

Click Start , then Run , type regedit , and click "Ok".

First thing, back up the registry and save it to your desktop. To do this, In the registry editor (regedit), click on "File" and select "Export". In the "Save In" drop down menu, choose "Desktop", then name the file 041806, and click "Save".

Note: If there is no (Default) listed in the right pane, let me know...don't change anything!

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer and delete everything in the right pane EXCEPT Default

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ ActiveDesktop and delete everything in the right pane EXCEPT Default

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System and delete everything in the right pane EXCEPT Default

Reboot and try changing the Theme...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 April 2006 - 07:56 AM.

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks alot! That fixed the issue. I still have alot of spyware coming in but thats a different issue. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you want us to handle your infections, please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 April 2006 - 03:09 PM.