Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Explain

• Please log in to reply

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Which is better? I have been brought to think that ddr2 is better because it runs at 533mhz compared to 400mhz. Yet i see ram at the same price, 2 512mb sticks of corsair ddr400, came out at $512 AUD dollars What the...????. I dont understand this ram buisnesses why are some so expensive.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
DDR2 is faster and it depends on how much u buy say if u buy 1 GB it would be more than say 512mb. That seems well expensive it can be expensive but it shouldnt be that expensive.

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Apparantley it was dual channle corsair, etc low latency etc etc. BUT still

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well i live in aus aswell gday mate lol

look one thing i have noticed with australian prices is they suck i mean really really suck

even if you look on US websites and convert them to AUD it is still a [bleep] of a lot cheaper.

everything is alot more expensive here i no it sucks.

best places are probably computer swap meets
you can sometimes find bargins but be carefull who you buy from not all of them will take back components if they are faulty,
troppo

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yerp i go swap meets =]

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yeah ive been a couple of times
ddr2 is faster but it depends on what you are doin with the system or if you are running a pci-express motherboard they usually run on ddr 2

i no that i got 1 gig of ddr400 for 58 each so if thats a rough guide but remember thats ddr not ddr 2
just shop around and see which offers the best price,
troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
DDR2 is a newer technology but its not neccesarily better all of the time, DDR2 at the moment you can only use on Intel systems AMD dont currently use it because there memory interface technology was more advanced than the intels and they simply didnt need DDR2 and there are advantages to DDR2 as DDR has lower timings meaning its more responsive which things like games like to have. DDR2 was also more expensive which was one reason AMD didnt use it and have delayed there new chipset that uses DDR2 so that the prices of DDR2 800 go down to something more acceptable and DDR2 prices should soon drop below DDR which is when AMD are going to release there new socket for DDR2.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
DDR2 memory uses a new form factor, a 240 pin DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) which is *not* compatible with current DDR memory slots. Upcoming chipsets by Intel and other manufacturers will support DDR2 specifically, and are not backwards compatible.

In terms of speed, DDR2 will start up where DDR memory left off, at 400Mhz DDR, also described as PC3200. DDR2 will also be available at 533MHz DDR, 667MHz DDR, and 800MHz DDR specifications.

In a conventional DDR-400 module, the memory core and I/O buffers both run at 200Mhz. DDR2-400 has an internal speed of 100Mhz, DDR2-533 is at 133Mhz and DDR2-667 will use 166Mhz, and so on.This also begins to explain how DDR2 can run faster yet use considerably less power, 1.8v to DDR's 2.5. DDR2 prefetch 4 bits of memory at a time, as compared to DDR's 2 bits so at a lesser speed but higher 4 bit rate the memory matches and the memory runs cooler. DDR2 memory is cheaper to produce and soon will become the standard for memory.

SRX660