Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP743, now I have sound, but can't read data cd's

• Please log in to reply

Darlena

Darlena

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi

We just solved a problem with with sound blaster card and not having system sound. Now i have system sound and can play audio and vidio cds. But I can't open a data cd to copy anything from it which I could to before getting the sound blaster card install right.

Darlena

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check creative software updates for a CD Burner plug in for your card

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've got the update for sb live but I can't install it. I am not doadloading anything dirrectly into this system as I don't know when it was online last (it's not mine, I'm fixing it for someone else)and how old the anti-virus proram is. I can't install from a cd, floppy )to small) or my usb drive as it doesn't recognize that either. Am I fighting a losing battle here?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=15

Another option is to use device manager to unistall the CD ROM Drive then reboot

You should be able to save the file on another PC and install it

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I uninstall the cd rom and was able to load the sb update but that just made things worst. Now the sb card don't work at all and I have no sound whatsoever. I've removed the sb card and have reinstalled it several times but to no avail. I think it's a lost cause.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use device manager to uninstall the soundcard then reboot

SB updates will only install if the software from the CD which came with the card has been installed

If it runs with that, leave the updates

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
My OS doesn't even see the sound card anymore. I'm tried taking it out and reinstalling it, but I'm sue it's fried or just plain died of natural causes! Maybe that's what it was trying to do all along, so I just went ahead and ordered a cheap sound card (and some Ram, as I was planning on doing that anyway). I'll just clean off all the oher junk and start over, at this point It's relly the best thing to do. I'll have to upgrade it to Xp later away as there will be no support for 98Se soon, and it sucks anyway!!

Thanks for trying to help but it was a lost cause, but I know when I need help again who to contact.

Darlena

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try putting the soundcard in to a different slot on the motherboard

Check in BIOS set up that onboard sound is disabled

Changing to XP will be better with an XP CD rather than an upgrade version, however if you do go with an upgrade CD, do a clean install, start with the XP upgrade CD then only insert the 98 CD when asked for the qualifying media, this saves loading files which will not be of any use

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey, been sick, but I'm back. Installed a cheap sound card and i have sound, both system and audio if a play a regular cd. But nothing else will work, as in vidio type media. This OS only has a Petium III, about 600 mhz processer. Shouldn't it be able to play vidios/ Or do I have some type of vidio adapter problem? Or multimedia problem maybe? I've never worked on anything other than an XP, so this OS is unfamiliar to me. I know it's not the cd-rom itsself as i tried another and it still does the same thing. I can't get WMP 9 to install either, it starts then gives me some error message about performing an illegal action and it will still let me install it, although it doesn't work! it also lock up alot.

I'm still debating on doing a reinstall cause if this thing just doesn't or can't suport vidio and other media types than I'd just be wasting my time.

Oh well, what do you think, keep trying or trash it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a programme to play DVD's

Advertisements

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
A program to play DVD's on this OS, no.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the video you are trying to play is on a disc, use atrial version of Power DVD to see if it will

http://www.cyberlink...ials_1_ENU.html

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
A program to play DVD's on this OS, no. I have one on my XP OS.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you want to play DVD's from a disc on this PC you will need a programme like the trial of Power DVD in post 12

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not trying to play dvd's. Just the music vidios and clips, and other types of music files that my grandsons have on cd's they made on other computers. You know like avi, mpg,mpeg and wmv, etc. Stuff like that is what I can't get to play. Only regular music cd's will play.

Edited by Darlena, 02 May 2006 - 06:59 PM.