Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP743, now I have sound, but can't read data cd's

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Put a CD in with mpegs etc, right click the drive, click explore, right click a file, click open, what error message do you get?

Advertisements

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't get an error message at all. The player acts like its loading the file but it just does not do anything after that. if I hit pause or stop or any else it does not respond at all. It usually locks up and I have to shut down and reboot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the make and model of the CD ROM drive, check for a firmware update, it is important that the correct one is used

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's a Samsung 148 which has been discontinued and I couldn't find any updates on it. I put another model cd-rom in it that works on on another OS I have and it still does exactly the same thing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In device manager, double click the drive, click settings, check DMA is enabled

Click apply and reboot if you change anything

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
DMA was already checked. What now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install the trial of Power DVD

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Installed Power DVD, tried to use it still nothing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

This part is optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK I did all of the tune up stuff. It advised me to upgrade my processor and OS and that the antivirus program was using alot of memory. Other than that nothig has changed, still can't play mpeg,etc. What do you suggest now?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Darlena...

Just as a check, let's look to see if there are filters set on the drive.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi
I check what you mentioned. No, no filters listed. all it shows is Default (value not set, Class-cdrom, link-cdrom.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click Add/Remove Programs. Under the "Windows Setup" tab, scroll down and select "Multimedia"...click on the "Details" button. Scroll down in the resulting list and remove the check from "Video Compression". Click "Ok" then "Apply". then "Ok". Reboot.

Now go back and check the box next to "Video Compression" to reinstall it (you may be asked for the installation cd). "Apply" the changes and reboot again. Try to play your files.

Any change?

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
After you remove vidio compression do you restart and reinstall, or do you completely shut down and then reinstall? I shouldn't be doing this at 3 am, I'm getting confused. I just did it with restarting and of course nothing happened.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall, click apply, reboot, re-install, click apply, reboot, try the mpegs