Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Drive C & Clean Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Toombs

Toombs

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hey can someone pls tell me how to format Drive C evertime i do it, it says " Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive. Then try formatting again". pls help...

My problem for clean installing is when the option for erasing the drives. there are 2 options to erase only drive c or the whole drive. you have to put a check for the option but you cant use the mouse???? when i press tab it doesnt go to that option just for "OK" & "CANCEL". pls help...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the reason you can't format from inside windows is because you can't get the disk not in use because windows is using it...

you need to boot from the xp cd and choose to setup windows...then choose the option to delete the partition then reformat it then reinstall xp on that partition...simple as that

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Here's a link with screencaps and advice for a clean install of XP:
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Johanna

(Hey, monkey, where's the veil?)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
(i have a feeling i will be left at the altar...so i won't even try) i shall retain that link for further nothavingtotypethewholesteps purposes

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok thanks for your time. i'll try the link.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
It didnt work the thing is every time i boot the CD it doesnt give me any choice to go to
"Repair mode". and i cant use my mouse to put a check on the options its always ticked at the option "Drive C only" and when i press tab it only goes to "ok" and "cancel". heres the image. i just want to format my fat32 drive c to ntfs and clean install. pls. help........

Copy_of_Picture.jpg

Edited by Toombs, 11 May 2006 - 06:17 AM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Do you have a WinXP install disk, or do you have recovery disks? If you have recovery disks (which is what it looks like), then you will just be able to 'recover' your computer to the original state.

Looking at your screen, have you tried to use the tab key or arrow keys?

Also, if all you want to do is convert your FAT32 partition to a NTFS partition, you can just convert it.

Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.

Now, at the command prompt, type:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

You will be told that you have to restart, since windows is using the c: partition. Once you restart, windows will convert it and you'll be good to go.

For more info on the conversion, look here:

How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
thanks for that it worked...!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Good to hear.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Am i did it on my friends computer cause he wanted to convert it aswell but when i typed it, it said "Cannot lock the drive, The volume is still in use" ??? any ideas ?

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Don't worry got it workin'. thanks again!