Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Localised Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I installed windows xp on a test bed with everything set to uk english and minimize stays minimize--there is no minimise

given your friends info, I would say that Microsoft has not opted to make a uk english windows xp beyond the localized options in the control panel regional settings.

I checked in some international newgroups and nothing contradicts that information

I think you are trying for the impossible here, short of hacking the code. I used resource hacker to search for Minimize and Maximize but was not able to find they so they are not stored in any known DLL (they are stored in a dll or ocx, of that much I am sure--but which one, I cannot say).

I'm afraid unless someone happens to know what resource this is stored in, we cannot help you with this issue

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay then. Thanks for trying.

I emailed Microsoft but that didn't answer anything...

Dear Michael,
Thank you for your e-mail about being unable to configure language settings.

As my expertise is limited to Customer Service, I do not have the technical expertise to advise you on this issue. However, there are a number of ways that you can get technical information and support from our team.

You can visit our web site http://support.micro...m/search/?adv=1 which is a useful resource (Knowledge Base) to get technical information. Please choose the product from the ‘Search Product’ menu for e.g. ‘Windows XP’ and type in the key words for e.g. error message, for which you require the information. You will get a list of articles.

Alternatively, you can also go online and visit our Newsgroup to post your technical question at the following web site, or alternatively chat with one of our Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs)
http://support.micro...up/default.aspx

If you don’t find the answer that you are looking for on our Knowledge Base, the best way to resolve this issue would be to call us on 0870 60 10 100. Our Customer Service Professional will provide you appropriate help on checking your support entitlements. The lines are open from 8AM to 6PM, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.

Kind Regards,

Mahesh Vijay
Customer Service Professional
Microsoft Customer Services

I think I'll try what they said, the knowledge base and the MVP thing. Then I'll just give up. Once again, thanks for helping. :whistling:

Edited by o2mcgovem, 20 April 2006 - 10:11 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as an add on to this here...today i had to switch one of my machines that has the MUI installed BACK to english from Japanese....i noticed that in the MUI menu for allowable UI languages..that English (United Kingdom) WAS in fact available...so i tried it...minimize stays as minimize..as does maximize and customize....no itteration has the ise instead of the ize i doubt that MS would waste coding time on something that trivial

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oh. Oh well. Worth a try. Thanks for the info, and for your time.

Microsoft need to realise that it's not trivial to someone who is from the UK... it's the language we speak.