Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2003 Not Responding; unsaved papaer due today!

• Please log in to reply

allyson

allyson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!
I have never used a service like this one before, but I am on the verge of impolsion here.
Last night the Word 2003 program foze after I tried to insert a picture from file, the file menu window popped up, and it allowed me to click on a file, but it didn't leave that very first window, it just froze the whole program. So I decided to wait on it because I have had un-responsive programs before that magically start responding after a length of time. But not this one. Is there anyway to save what is on there? Or perhaps just print what I have so far? At least that way I might be able to make it to a school computer in enough time to re-type it.
Any help at all would be great, thank you!
Allyson

Advertisements

allyson

allyson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hey,
I just tried to use powerpoint, and when I tried to insert sound into a slideshow it froze on me too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > programs > microsoft office > microsoft office tools > microsoft application recovery > then choose the proper program (word in this case) > choose to restart the application...it will HOPEFULLY offer to try to save your work...or give you an option to recover it once the program restarts...IF that doesn't work..you'll have to retype the sucker (i press the save button every 5 minutes when i type something important and long....)

allyson

allyson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you so much! it restarted and preserved my old document, phew. Believe me when I say I will never take that risk again, and save every couple of minutes.
Thanks again!
Allyson

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You also can set Office thus

Additional file protection
You can further protect your work by using the AutoRecover feature to periodically save a temporary copy of the file you're working on. To recover work after a power failure or similar problem, you must have turned on the AutoRecover feature before the problem occurred. You can set the AutoRecover save interval to occur more frequently than every 10 minutes (its default setting). For example, if you set it to save every 5 minutes, you'll recover more information than if you set it to save every 10 minutes.

With AutoRecover on, if an Office program stops responding while you have files open, you can use the Microsoft Office Application Recovery dialog box, and recovered files will be displayed in the Document Recovery task pane. The data in the files reflects the last time AutoRecover saved the files. AutoRecover should not be used as a substitute for manually saving or backing up your files.

Automatic Backup Copies

You can set Word to automatically save a backup copy each time you save a document. The backup copy provides you with a previously saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original document and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each time you save the document, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save changes you don't want to keep or you delete the original file.