Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use FTP

• Please log in to reply

alosito

alosito

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a DSL account with a static IP address. Everything seems to be fine with this Internet connection except that I can't use FTP. Every time I run CuteFTP or IE and try to connect to any FTP server, I get a timeout error. At the same time, however, if I connect to the Internet with the same laptop through GPRS or through another DSL line with a different IP, I can use FTP just fine. When I contacted the tech support for my DSL account regarding this issue, they said that I need to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. They said it because I loaded Lunix to my computer, and under Lunix they could use FTP just fine from my computer. They don't know though exactly what is wrong with my Windows XP. Does anybody know what might be wrong and if I really have to reinstall Windows XP in this situation? There is no firewall (not even XP's) or any other network software installed on my laptop. Runing Norton Antivirus and Ad-Aware didn't find any problems.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think they're stupid for saying that you shoulr reinstall xp...especially if the same computer CAN ftp from any other internet connection than the DSL connection in question....IS there a router in the mix here? or do you connect straight to the DSL modem?

alosito

alosito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, there is no router. I connect straight to the DSL modem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got a dual boot system (linux and xp) within linux you can hit these ftp sites in windows it's a no go..either with cute ftp or with I.E. correct? just to make sure it's not an app problem...get filezilla and see if you can get to the ftp sites that way