Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU is experiencing mood swings

• Please log in to reply

POC Computer

POC Computer

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
All my computer's programs are running slowly.

When I check the task manager, the CPU Usage jumps around from about 2% to 100% at random intervals.

Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Ewido can't find anything on my computer.

Please Help...Sincerely,

-POC COmputer

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Do you have any beta software on your PC, also, what are the specs?

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I probably should have specified earlier, but I'm a computer idiot!

I have no idea what beta software is or how to check if I have it!

Specs? Again what is it, how do I find it, and how do I show them to you?

Thanks for the patience,

POC COmputer

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, no problem :whistling:.

Beta software is a release of software to testers only before the full version of whatever program may be, for example, I'm a beta tester of the new windows vista, because im testing an unfinished build of the operating system.

Specs is a slang term for specifications, specifications in a computers term is things like the processor, the motherboard, graphics card, etc.

Go here and download "Everest Home Edition 2.20" (its an old version but I prefer it to the newer buids). This will help you find your computer specs, and help me find out the problem.

Once you have downloaded and installed everest, please run the program and click the icons Computer then Summary. Right click a piece of information in here and click copy all. Then open notepad and paste the information here, click save, name the file, then attach it to your next post.

Thanks!

Edited by SuperSam, 18 April 2006 - 03:02 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No I'm not testing any Beta Software.

Here's the report from Everest, Good Luck!

Attached Files

Edited by POC Computer, 18 April 2006 - 08:48 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
So what's next?

Is the report what you needed, or did I miss something?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello POC Computer. I'm sorry SuperSam did not get back with you. I'm here to finish where he left off.

I see nothing of interest in the Everest report. Your specs look good. When it comes to random 100% CPU usage, there can be many causes. Please bear with me as we go through each possible cause/solution.

One possible cause could be a corrupt or full index.dat file. To delete this file, we will use CCleaner:

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

Another possible cause could be a clutered registry. If the above solution did not help you, please move on to these directions:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

And finally, if that did not help you, use the following program to collect more information for me:

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU.

If you can, a screencapture would be useful. Take the screenshot when your CPU usage jumps. To take a screenshot, press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Things seem to be running much more quickly. I am going to wait a day before closing this topic to make sure that the CPU problem is fixed. There were apparently lots of errors in my registry so my first question is How does this happen and how do I prevent it?

Next, the System Advisor said that my Systemantic Antivirus was using an abnormal amount of memory. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Finally, should I remove all of the programs that you had me download to access/ fix my problems? After removing the program, how do I remove the setup icon from my memory?

Thank you again for your quick responses and dedication to my problem! As a poor college student, I can not give what I would like, but I will spare what I can.

Best Regards,

POC Computer

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Things seem to be running much more quickly. I am going to wait a day before closing this topic to make sure that the CPU problem is fixed. There were apparently lots of errors in my registry so my first question is How does this happen and how do I prevent it?

Registry errors are cause by programs that you uninstall. They never completely clean up after themselves, so they leave behind registry "errors" and other files. These usually are harmless, but as the junk accumulates, that's when problems arise. There is no way to prevent the junk, unless you stop installing/uninstalling programs. But you can remove the junk every now and then with CCleaner. I can show you how to do that.

Next, the System Advisor said that my Systemantic Antivirus was using an abnormal amount of memory. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

It means that Norton is a resource hog. This is nothing new. Norton is not as good as it use to be, and tends to "take over" your computer, depending on which version and what features you have. You can fix it by switching to a different anti-virus. If you are looking for a good free one, I recommend Avast. However, if your computer seems fine, even with Norton being a hog, I would keep it until the subscription runs out, and then switch to Avast.

Finally, should I remove all of the programs that you had me download to access/ fix my problems?

Remove Tune-up, since it is a trial. It can be reused later 1 more time if you need it. Keep CCleaner and use it weekly. This will help keep your computer free of junk. I will teach you how to use the registry cleaning section of CCleaner:

Open CCleaner. In the left-hand menu, click on Issues. At the bottom, click on Scan for issues. Fix all issues, and when prompted, create a backup of all the issues it is about to fix. Save the backup somewhere that you can easily find. Messing with the registry is always tricky, and sometimes dangerous. That's why these cleaners make it convienient to get rid of the junk in the registry, but as a precaution, always make a backup. :whistling:

After removing the program, how do I remove the setup icon from my memory?

Not quite sure what you mean here...

Thank you again for your quick responses and dedication to my problem! As a poor college student, I can not give what I would like, but I will spare what I can.

Always glad to lend a hand :blink:

computerwiz12890 :help:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 20 April 2006 - 03:10 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
What I meant was after removing a recently installed program, using add/remove from the control panel, the original SETUP ICON that was used to install the program in the first place is still on my computer taking up memory.

It's not a lot of memory so should I ignore it? Do I just send it to the recycle bin?

Does this make sense now, because I'm not computer savy I don't know how else to describe it.

Anyway it's no big deal. My computer is still running great. If everything is still cool by tomorrow I'll feel comfortable closing this topic.

Thanks again,

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 20 April 2006 - 07:05 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ah, I understand now. You're talking about the setup file that installed those programs. Yes, you can delete both of them.

I see why you'd call it an "icon", but I would refer to it as the "Installer" or "Setup file" :help:

Let me know if everything is still fine tomorrow. I'm always interested in knowing the results. :blink: And thanks for the donation :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 20 April 2006 - 08:46 PM.

POC Computer

POC Computer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Everything is still fantastic. My computer is running like I just pulled it out of the box! I just have a few more questions before I close this topic.

Is it natural for SpyBot Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware to take up near 100% of my CPU? Should I keep both of these programs, or is there too much overlap between them to be beneficial? What the heck is a process module and is having more of them a good or bad thing? Are there any other tips you can think of to help my comuter run even faster?

Anyway, hopefully I won't need this webiste's services for a while, but it's good to know that if I do I can count on the staff from Geeks to Go!
Thanks again for covering for SuperSam.

Best Regards,

POC Computer

Edited by POC Computer, 21 April 2006 - 11:17 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Excellent!

Considering your processor speed, I'd say it is normal for Spybot and Ad-aware to be taking up that much CPU when they are scanning. If they take up that much CPU when they're just sitting there, waiting for your command, then that's not normal...

On my computer, it jumps from 70% - 100% during scanning. If yours stays at 100%, you can try reinstalling, but if it is the same after a fresh install, then it must be normal for your computer.

Both those programs are beneficial and will help you stay clean of spyware and adware. You should use them weekly.

As for keeping your computer in tip-top shape, I will attach my maintenance list that I always give my customers:

In my instructions, you'll see instructions for Spyware Blaster. That can be downloaded here

Also, you'll notice I don't have instructions for Spybot. Spybot is a bit more advanced than Ad-aware, but it is a very strong program. I put it on my customer's computers, but I only have them use it in special situations. If you know how to use it, keep on using it. It is a good tool to have and use.

In addition, read numbers 1-3 and #10 at this address: http://www.geekstogo...&page=How_did_I
That will also help you stay free of infections.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 21 April 2006 - 11:50 AM.