Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad FPS with 6600GT

• Please log in to reply

Jdz

Jdz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sup guys,

Recently (infact only today) upgraded from a Radeon 9200 to the nVidia 6600GT 128mb AGP after hearing alot of rave reviews about it.

My issue is that when running games such as Counter-Strike Source & America's Army, I'm still getting FPS that I was getting from my 9200 (approximately 20-40). I've set every setting to low and doesn't really help. I haven't ran a benchmark test but if anybody could reccomend a good but yet relative small program that I can download, would be appreciated.

Anyways, I've done a bit of research into my problem and kind of narrowed it down to either not enough RAM or my PSU needs upgrading. Though after spending $209 on a new graphics card, it isn't particulary great that you need to go out and get more things.

Just to add, would the fact that the power cable is also plugged into the Floppy take away alot of power from the Graphics Card? Any non-physical suggestions on what I can possibly do to make the card run at it's optimum?

Cheers,
(First post, my specs should be somewhere?)
:whistling:

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
First things first, what is your system? As in who makes it , dell, Hp,emachines etc. A lot of the new graphics cards require a minimum of 350w. Also, have you checked with the manufacturer of the card for new drivers?
-P.

Jdz

Jdz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

It's a Intel Celeron. And I've updated my drivers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to uninstall the ATI drivers and install the nvidia ones, if you have done this and it still doesnt work uninstall the drivers then get and run driver cleaner, to use driver cleaner you boot into safe mode then run driver cleaner twice and delete all the video drivers it shows up.

Then boot normally and install the latest nvidia drivers, those must have been really old reviews to give a 6600GT a rave review.

For $209 you really got screwed though they have replaced the 6600GT with the 7600 and it costs like $220 on newegg and its alot better.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

You need to uninstall the ATI drivers and install the nvidia ones, if you have done this and it still doesnt work uninstall the drivers then get and run driver cleaner, to use driver cleaner you boot into safe mode then run driver cleaner twice and delete all the video drivers it shows up.

Then boot normally and install the latest nvidia drivers, those must have been really old reviews to give a 6600GT a rave review.

For $209 you really got screwed though they have replaced the 6600GT with the 7600 and it costs like $220 on newegg and its alot better.

LMAO he did indeed get jipped.. 6600gt's are not fast, you paid way too much for it. $209 you could of gotten a video card 2x faster, yes a full 2 times faster for the same price or cheaper.. actually you could have gotten an ati x800xl for $159 on up at newegg.com...

a 7600gt is $174 - $212 at newegg.com depending on which one you get its 2 times faster or just about..