Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig / start-up

• Please log in to reply

Project X

Project X

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I reformatted my system, added my virus and firewall program (pc-cillin2006) and ad ware protection along with my stopzilla before connecting to the net to get my windows up to date with service pack 2.

I then went into my msconfig to take some things out of startup. The link below is a screenshot of what I see. It has two titleless entries. The one under Speedfan and one under msmsgs.

http://www.projectxg...ctx/startup.gif

How do I fix that? I used Registry Rescue and Registry Mechanic to clean up the registry but as you can see, it did not solve my problem.

John

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Project X...

Because the location doesn't list the complete location, we'll have to hunt these down. :whistling:

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "OK"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. In the right pane, look for any entries with no values in the "Data" column.

Let me know what you find...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 April 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you for such a fast reply. Here is what I came up with on that check.

http://www.projectxg.../reg_image1.gif

John

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Navigate to C:\Program Files. Are there any folders in there with no names? (Make sure the Folder View is set to show Hidden Files and Folders)

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Using show hidden files and folders option didn't produce any other files or folders within Program Files.

Also, I just Noticed you live in Montana as well. Born and Raised in the Flathead Valley, Whitefish, Kalispell area. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool! Flathead Cherries are the best! I have friends in Polson and St Ignatious... :blink: The Flathead Valley is gorgeous... :whistling: And...I've spent a lot of time hunting in the Mission Mountains and North Fork! I'm born and raised in Bozeman. Not many of us "Natives" left, it seems.

Navigate to each of the following in Registry Editor and look for entries with no "Data" values

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce