Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutting down constantly.

• Please log in to reply

ennagrom

ennagrom

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all. I have been experiencing difficulties with my computer. I will turn it on, and when I start doing anything at all [using the internet, talking on AIM, etc.] the computer will just suddenly shut down on it's own. Sometimes it happens within 10 minutes, other times it happens within 10 seconds! And when it shuts down, the monitor will blink with a message that says something about checking to see if the monitor is connected properly. Now, when it shuts off, the computer turns off but the green power button on the computer stays on, so I have to push it in for a few seconds to turn it off. And then I wait for a few minutes, push it back in, and the computer comes on again and starts up normally. But when I connect to the internet and begin browsing, it shuts down on it's own again. It does this EVERY SINGLE TIME I use the computer. But if the computer is just sitting here turned on and no one is using it, it doesn't shut off.

Please help! This is aggrivating.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

You could also click computer then sensor

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Above, again, run Everest home, click Computer > Sensor and tell us your CPU temperature... This could be your processor overheating and turning off to cool itself down.

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It says my CPU is 118 degrees F.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not too hot....sounds like your power supply is dying

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What am I supposed to do if my power supply is dying?

I did everything KEITH told me to do but the site offers me 2 different drivers and I am unsure of which one I should download.

Here are the two choices they give me:

--------------------------------------------

1. Graphics Driver [WIN2K_XP14103.EXE] (6037KB) 14.10.3 6/28/2005 Download
Installs drivers for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® chipsets. This is not to be used if the system has a third party graphics card.

Read Me (txt) Release Notes (htm)

OS:Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional

2. Graphics Driver [WIN2K_XP14103.ZIP] (6093KB) 14.10.3 6/28/2005 Download
Installs drivers for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® chipsets. This file is intended for use by Developers.

Read Me (txt) Release Notes (htm)

OS:Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does Everest call your video adapter

Power supplies can be changed

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller (64 MB)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you went here

http://downloadfinde.....45&submit=Go!

It is the same file, one is .exe and one is .zip

Choose the top .exe file if you want to install it now

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, my father thought that maybe the computer was just dirty. So he decided to use the vacuum cleaner hose to suck out all of the dirt that could've possibly been hiding in the back. I didn't think this was a good idea, as I recall reading in another topic that one must use extreme caution when cleaning out the computer, as there is a chance of burning out the fan.

As my father had the vacuum hose back there, he used a flash light and made me turn the computer on. When I did that, he said that the fan wasn't spinning and that it must be burnt out.

So, my question is, if he is correct, how can we repair the problem? Does anyone have a general idea of the cost for a computer fan? And is it difficult to replace it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on which fan, a case fan is just swapping it out for a new one and quite cheap, CPU and graphic card fans are more involved

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Which fan is it? the one on the powersupply or the one on the processor chip?

sorry question was already asked.

Edited by Sintic, 21 April 2006 - 10:46 AM.

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
On the power supply. At least that is what he thinks. He said it's the first one you see right when you look in the back.

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sounds like the power supply to me, you will need to replace the whole power supply. you need to check the wattage of the psu and buy a new one the same or highier (to be safe)
fitting it yourself shouldn't be a problem if you remember how you took the other one out.

ennagrom

ennagrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That's exactly what I thought.

How do I check the wattage? And do you have any idea how much it costs?