Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP home reinstallation-issues. Plz help

• Please log in to reply

nOinternet

nOinternet

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got a HP, where 1 of the features is a "system-recovery dvd-set". Well I did a full system format with it, where it was suppose to reinstall Windows and all the original software that was on the computer when I bought it. This works fine until I get to the configuring part where it keeps prompting for a "Supplement disc" which was send to me from HP. The problem is that it doesn't recognice the disc as the correct one(allthough I know for sure it is). I dont know how to manually explore the disc outside windows(it's not letting me in windows).
I thought I would check to see if the system-recovery discs was corrupted and tried installing XP from another original disc(I got with another computer I got). Thisa installation works fine except that when I'm choosing the partision to install it on, my c: drive is only 15 gig(not close to the real 250gig it is). I do hace 238 gig of unpartitioned space where I CAN install it. But why has this happened? I want to install it as normal and use c: as my primary hard drive, but need some of the unpartitioned space to do so.

All tips will be greatly appreciated, I'm pretty frustrated

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
on problem 1--don;t assume that hp gave you the correct discs--it would not be the first time they mixed up the discs. As for reading the disks, the are either disk images or compressed volumes made with propritary software, meaning you can really explore them like you would a normal file

on problem 2, using restore disks from a different pc is likely to cause issues

You can try to completely wipe out the drive using a win98 floppy disk and use fdisk to delete all partitions, then restart the recovery

nOinternet

nOinternet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did double-check with HP that the dvd's were the right ones, but gonna tripple check it to be sure. Browsed the forums to try to find how to make a win98 floppy disc, since I dont have a win98 installation-cd. Any tips on that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.bootdisk.com/