Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC locking up

• Please log in to reply

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
We have been having a lot of problem with our 4 year old Dell locking up. I have tried CClean,
Norton System works , Scan Disk etc.
We have to push the button and start over. Sometimes we don't even get to the desk top before it lockes up.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dakotapicker...

This almost sounds like an overheating problem. Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.28 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Watch the temps as you machine runs and post back with the high temps you see.

Note: This application may or may not be able to find sensors in older machines.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 April 2006 - 06:25 PM.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
What temps etc am I looking for and how do I know they are what they suppose to be?
Will it work by it's self or do I need to activate is some how from time to time.
Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it will use the sensors on your motherboard, it will list the temps on the main application window. It is a stand alone application and executes gy doble clicking on it's desktop icon. This app may not even work on your Win98 machine. On some it does...on some it doesn't. If we can't get the temperatures using SpeedFan, we'll have to look in the BIOS to check it.

The temperature of the CPU should not go above 50*C...higher than that can lead to problems such as you describe.

wannabe1

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
It is on my desk top, and will open, I just don't know what the readings etc mean.
Right now the cpu is going back and forth from about 30 to 48 %
Temp is 3C arrow pointing down. Auto fan box is checked.
Under clock all boxes empty
under info intel PIIX4E SMBus $7000
under S M A R T blank
undercharts Blank

Nothing about fan speed setting or the like.
Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Temp is 3C arrow pointing down

3C or 30C?

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
it says 3 C with the arrow pointing down.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Doesn't sound like the SpeedFan is picking up the motherboard sensors. Do you know how to get around in the BIOS setup? There should be a CPU temp listed there...if you can find that one, watch it for a while and let me know what the highest temp you see is.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
BIOs setup???? Not sure what that is or how to access it.
I must be a bone head.
Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: You're certainly not a "Bone Head". Most folks don't know a lot about the BIOS setup...it's not something one accesses every day.

Reboot the machine and tap either the F1 or Delete key during the boot sequence. It should tell you at the bottom of the first screen that comes up which key to press (Press [key] to enter setup). Once in BIOS, you will navigate using the arrow keys, but usually the temperature will be listed on the first screen. Have a look around in there if it's not. You're not going to hurt anything unless you save any changes when you exit...just don't change anything or, if you do, don't save the settings when you leave.

Let me know if you see any temperatures in there.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
HI
I got a windows help page, typed in BIOS setup and got nothing. Must have done something wrong.
Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Turn the machine off and then back on. As soon as the machine powers on, start tapping the Delete key about once a second...if this does not get you into the BIOS Setup, restart and do the same with the F1 key. Let me know if you are able to enter the BIOS.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi
I think I got in, it looks like DOS.
BIOS version is A09, but I can ohly move around on the bottom of the page.
I must be close, but that only count in Horse shoes and hand granades