Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeps rebooting Alcohol 120%'s fault

• Please log in to reply

Nario

Nario

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :)

I installed Alcohol 120% and it gave me two files: xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys. They are installed in C:windows/system32/ and I can't get to them because my PC keeps rebooting.

Here's what happens to me:1. Tries to boot up
2. Asks me if I want to go into a bunch of Safe Mode things, along with Last known good config seting and starting Windows normally
3. When I choose Safe Mode, a long list of drivers pop up, along with those two files above, except at the very end i hangs on "loading xmasbus.sys"
4. It restarts the PC
5. Repeat 1-4
I can't access any of my files, nor I can I even get to my desktop, for the PC keeps rebooting.

It seems like Alcohol 120% did this to my PC (a Virtual Drive program). Both xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys are the two files that are installed when you install Alcohol 120% onto your PC, and those two files are the ones that cause my PC and any other's PC to crash when you try booting it in any mode. Period.

Please help me!!!! I can't use my PC!!!! Is it possible to remove the files so I can use the PC, that, or use the PC without using those two files???? I really need some help please... Alcohol 120% gave it to me.

:D :D :) :) :D

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
one way to do it would be to pull the drive and drop it in a second PC and delete those two files.

that way, windows will skip over the drivers during load -- it might complain about missing files -- allowing you to get into windows and uninstall alcohol

Nario

Nario

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

one way to do it would be to pull the drive and drop it in a second PC and delete those two files.

that way, windows will skip over the drivers during load -- it might complain about missing files -- allowing you to get into windows and uninstall alcohol

How would you suggest to me on taking the hard drive out of my currently-bad PC and placing it into one of my older PCs? Just take it out and slam it into another one, nothing special? Considering you're a mod, I'll take your word. ^_^ Thanks, I'll test it out.

Nario

Nario

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump

I'm currently trying to run my 120 GB Windows XP hard drive on a 8 GB Windows 98 PC (Not that it's 8 GBs anymore, for it's hard drive has been removed). However, nothing's happening. It's just at a black screen with a white line blinking. No luck yet.

Now I'm thinking about taking the PC I'm using currently (a Windows XP) and doing the same to it, and hopefully the PC will read the hard drive this time. However, I'm tired, so I'm going to bed. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. :whistling:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
be sure to set the jumpers on the drives correctly!

the drive with the functional windows needs to be set as master, the drive ur fixing as slave VERY IMPORTANT

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is pretty much it......i try not to mess with jumpers if I can...if you have two ribbon cables, one for the cd-rom/dvd and one for a harddrive, I just pull the ribbon from the cd-rom/dvd and mount the drive from the bad pc in its place--that way when you are done, it's just a matter or reconnectin cables with no jumper swapping

Note...for this, you do not even need to remove the existing drives physically...just stretch the cables.

In fact, what I do all the time when on a repair is I have this nifty little usb cable

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812156101

I can pull the cable in a dead machine, and connect this usb to ide adapter, and plug the other end into my laptop, clean off the problem drive using my laptop, and never have to remove more than few case screws...

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Indeed I have a similar adaptor that I use for the same purposes, although its generally left plugged for my external drive

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I use it for that, too....got a box full of harddrives with various disk images that i need from time to time, and much easier then shuffling in and out of PC case or even a harddisk enclosure