Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp home to pro x64

• Please log in to reply

uberslacker

uberslacker

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have been reading up on 64 bit xp pro, and the main selling point that I have noticed is the simple fact that it should read all 4 gigs of memory I have installed. I know that some of the programs that I use will probably not work under a X64 system. So here I am asking for some advice, hoping someone has a little input on the pros and cons. At the moment I am running XP home so first I want to find an upgrade instead of buying the full retail, I have seen there is a trial you can download from the microsoft sight, has anyone tried this. Thanks in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you even run it? In order to run windows xp 64-bit you need a 64-bit processor

Also, you can put all the memory you want in a system and it will only use if it the chipset supports it....not knowing your hardware, it is difficult to know if your will or will not

uberslacker

uberslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
my hardware is listed in my signature

but 4800+ x2 with 4 gigs of memory should support it I would think. Windows xp will only see 3 gigs with one gig virtual memory with out sloppy hacks changing the page file system.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry, I have signatures turned off (there are just too many people running giant photos of their big left toe or some other such nonsense and it slows me down)

according to your manual

DUE TO CHIPSET RESOURCE ALLOCATION THE SYSTEM MAY DEDECT LESS THAN FOUR GIGABYTES OF SYSTEM MEMORY WHEN YOU INSTALL 1 GB DDR MEMORY MODULES

page 1-15

uberslacker

uberslacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have no problem with the system detecting all 4 gigs, It is only windows that will only show 3 gigs installed. If I use limespire live cd for instance It detects and utilizes all 4 gigs my only problem is with xp home edition, it only will detect 4 gigs and one gig is set in virtual memory.