Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Error

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm at a friends house, and the computer goes off all time unexpectedly. She said it needs a new motherboard, but I wanted to know if there is anything else I can do? I runs fine, it's just that it goes off all the time, and it's really annoying. I hope there's a program out there that will help me with this problem. If not, than thanks for taking the time to read this thanks. The system is Window's XP by the way.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it go off and stay off, or reboot

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Does it go off and stay off, or reboot

It goes off, and stays off. And sometimes it will go off and reboot, but that doesn't happen often.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Temperatures, possible, can you download Everest, click + next to computer then sensor

Also check the video adapter drivers

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I found it! Video Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB)

And I have no idea where do do download drivers and all that, so if you could help me with that I would greatly appreciate it, thank you!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

I got this

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

Which you can check here

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

Graphics driver, Geforce and TN2, XP

How are the temperatures?

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks so much! How do you check the temperatures? I don't think that is the problem. I honestly think this driver might do the trick. At least I hope so. :whistling:

Edited by computerdude1985, 18 April 2006 - 09:10 PM.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I don't know how to get rid of Norton Antivirus running in the background. I was able to get rid of AVG, but not Norton. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar icon for Norton and click exit / shutdown, confirm

In Everest, click + next to computer, click sensor, give it a minute, look on right, post them in

Have you only got one installed anti virus programme?

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Right click the taskbar icon an click exit / shutdown

In Everest, click + next to computer, click sensor, give it a minute, look on right, post them in

Have you only got one installed anti virus programme?

No, there's 2 programs AVG, and Norton, and this isn't my computer. I'm just trying to fix it for a friend.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There should be one

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

There should be one

I know, but it's not my computer so I can't uninstall anything. Anyway, I installed the driver, and so far it hasn't went off. If it does I will let you know. I have one more problem. The computer takes longer to startup. Like after it does the Windows screen, it becomes a black screen for like a minute, and then loads, and this just started last night. I wanted to know if I could fix it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton, click options to look for do not run at start up, so you don't uninstall anything and you leave AVG running, check for an update for AVG

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well the computer just went off, so I guess that didn't solve the problem. Is a possible a new motherboard would fix this problem entirely or not?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through post 13 then

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.