Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Error

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Run through post 13 then

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

I'm going to do this later, and thanks so much for all of this advice. I really do appreciate it. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem

Hope it goes well

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

No problem

Hope it goes well

Thanks! What is this going to do though? I'm just curious. :whistling:

Edited by computerdude1985, 18 April 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With post 13 and check disk you will clean the disk, remove obsolete entries from the prefetch folder, this stops windows looking for files which do not apply to the installed programmes, defragmented the drive so windows does not have to check all over the shop for files, checked for, and if necessary, replaced missing or corrupt system files, checked the hard drive for errors, checked the registry for errors and generally tweaked the PC, apart from that, not much :whistling:

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

With post 13 and check disk you will clean the disk, remove obsolete entries from the prefetch folder, this stops windows looking for files which do not apply to the installed programmes, defragmented the drive so windows does not have to check all over the shop for files, checked for, and if necessary, replaced missing or corrupt system files, checked the hard drive for errors, checked the registry for errors and generally tweaked the PC, apart from that, not much :whistling:

But there is a chance this could fix the problem right? It hasn't went off in a while either, so that's a good thing. I disabled Norton Antivirus. I've been thinking maybe a program conflict between AVG and Norton cause the computer to shut down? My computer has both of them installed, but this never happens. Anyway, I will try this later, and hopefully it will fix the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will eliminate things, if it still gives the error we can look elsewhere (hardware), Norton can be an resource hog and two anti virus programmes running together is a standard no no

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi computerdude1985...

You should definitely only use one anti-virus program at any given time...that could very well be part of the problem. It's ok to have more than one installed as long as there is only one running at a time. :whistling:

wannabe1

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

It will eliminate things, if it still gives the error we can look elsewhere (hardware), Norton can be an resource hog and two anti virus programmes running together is a standard no no

Okay, thanks so much!

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I'm going to do this later, and thanks so much for all of this advice. I really do appreciate it. :whistling:

Okay, I just got done doing this, and the computer is still taking forever to start up, and it's still turning off by itself. Any alternatives? :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.28 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Post the high temperatures you see after the machine has run a bit.

Does the machine make an audible "click" when it shuts down or restarts?

We'll figure the shutdown problem out...then work on the slow startup.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 April 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements