Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my Winamp keeps freezing!?!

• Please log in to reply

mosdef

mosdef

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hey guys
first post! this forum came highly recommended so i'm here to bombard you with questions

recently everytime i play my winamp, it will eventually freeze. not instantly, and sometimes not at all.

but its annoying as [bleep]. when it does stop, it just wont play the song anymore. everything else on the computer works fine. But then at that point i have to Ctrl ALT DLT and delete it on task manager (a few times) until it starts playing again

or i have to restart my computer

any ideas of what i should do?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Reinstall winamp... And also stick with a slightly older version. I dont know what version you're using, but I find the last stable and fully-functional verson was 5.08, which is what I use.

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
thanks i'll try that

the version i'm running is winamp 5.21

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
[bleep]
i removed winamp 5.21 and tried a few different older versions

same thing happened. any other idea? this is incredibly frustrating

Edited by mosdef, 26 April 2006 - 12:37 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I can understand it is frustrating lol...

Tell me, what other programs do you have running when it usually freezes ?

I know, my winamp is always open 24/7 lol, but if you can try and pinpoint exactly what progs run at that very moment, it could help our case.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
What sound files are you trying to play? Do they use a third party plugin?

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
hey guys
the only other program i have running is usually msn messanger. Limeware is sometimes on, sometimes off. and at the same time i'm browsing the net. thats it

the files are always mp3 files that i'm playing. when it freezes, i can fast forward the song to say , the 2 min mark. the it will just sit there at the 2 min mark, not playing
when winamp freezes like this, i'm still able to browse the net no problem. however all other media type programs wont work

in related or perhaps unrelated matter:

i've also noticed in the past that whenever i've tried to watch a d/l tv show or movie on windows media, the whole computer will freeze. i cant even ctrl alt del. i have to turn off the power

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
do u think it has anything to do with all these "hotfix" files i see in my add/remove programs section?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried a system restore back to a time when it worked?
Have you installed any hardware/software recently?
Does the freeze happen happen in other media players such as WMP?

I suppose it could be the codec that's the problem. Download and install the Klite codec pack to see if that helps.

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i dont think i can do a system restore, i'm running Windows 2000

the freeze does effect other media players. once winamp freezes, then i cant play windows media either

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
HI

limewire is whats freezing your computer. You have to block its cookies So what i did was copy "n"paste limewires web site in my internet options put in privacy clik block.if i need to use it i go back there and allow it. but i always block it when im not using it.try it it should make a difference.

dont forget limewire is also [bleep] site as well.

but it constantly running.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this

CLICK TOOLS

CLICK INTERNET OPTIONS

CLICK PRIVACY

CLICK SITES

COPY AND PASTE THIS.................. www.limewire.com

INTHE BLANK BOX

CLICK BLOCK

CLICK OK

THEN CLICK APPLY OR OK

................................That should block cookies

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Limewire is a P2P program anyway, which is illegal. Also Limewire is known to be full of viruses and you should probably run a virus scan and uninstall Limewire.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
im not sure about you but limewire would not let its self be completely uninstalled and the allowed cookies thats why i ended up blocking them in my internet options

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
guys i still need help.

as a music lover this constant interruption is absolutely killing me. i need this music to help while i study, do work, etc

i've done as you've instructed and blocked limewire in the internet options section of privacy. but still...i get this freezing of music. in fact, its frozen as i type this. but like i said, everythign else works, just none of the "music" software ..winamp, windows media, itunes.

please help