Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard disk

• Please log in to reply

toffeymen

toffeymen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi all, having a nightmare with my pc, just keep getting error message after error message, have tried doing a fresh install of winxp but still no good, was wondering if there was any way i could completely wipe my hard drive so it would be like new and then maybe it might get rid of these errors, hope someone can help me, thanks in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
get a boot disk ( ihave one from windows 98) in the dos prompt type format c: (or replace c with drive) , then y for yes. (I can't remember but im sure you can do it within the xp instalation).

Edited by sarahw, 19 April 2006 - 02:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

can't remember but im sure you can do it within the xp instalation).

yes you can do this during installation

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html. .
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Two Great tutorials for a clean install of XP complete with screenshots

Credit for Links ~ Johanna and Crash Override

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

It's possible that you might have a corrupted hard drive, or some bad sectors. Run a CHKDSK to verify that your hard drive is running okay and is in good condition. Check your RAM too.

I know it sounds farfetched, but it's better to consider too many possibilities than not enough. I've seen RAM mess stuff up that most people would never think that RAM would be the cause. Wierd sometimes.

Cheers:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for steps for running chkdsk and testing your ram see below:

for checkdisk:

IF you can boot to safe mode with command prompt (press f8 during boot then choose "safe mode with command prompt" from the menu) type chkdsk /f /r and let that run to completion without interuption (30 to 60 minutes depending on drive size and ammount of corruption)

IF you CANNOT boot to safe mode then boot to the xp cd (boot into bios usually by pressing f2 or del during boot and make sure that your boot order is set to boot from cd first) and choose the R option for recovery console...choose the windows install that you would like to log onto and then enter the administrator password (if you don't know it...try leaving it blank) and when you get to the command line type chkdsk /r (the /f option is not available through recovery console) and let that run to completion without interuption (30 to 60 minutes depending on drive size and ammount of corruption)

once done report any errors (or if it completed without errors)

for testing your ram:

go to www.memtest.org and follow their instructions for making a bootable memtest diskette and boot to that (boot into bios usually by pressing f2 or del during boot and make sure that your boot order is set to boot from floppy first if you choose to make a floppy image, if you don't have a floppy drive they also have instructions for making a cd version) run that program for a minimum of 2 hours and report any errors or success

(dockboy and sarahw please...when you offer advice...give steps not just suggestions)

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Sorry mate,

I will definitely offer steps next time. Just got a little post crazy, and I'm at work. I will refrain from posting where I need time to type and research when I do not have the time to do so. I only want to help those in need. But for next, I will offer steps to the solution. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cheers:)

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wow, thanks alot for all the great advice, very detailed which helps a million especially for a novice like myself, once again thanks ever so much, great work :whistling: :blink: :help: :) :) :D :D :) :)