Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Humming sound at startup

• Please log in to reply

_Endless_

_Endless_

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ever since my computer had to get restored because of virus', my computer makes this humming sound when I switch it on by the plug. It's not the humming sound that you hear when your computer is on though. Also sometimes my computer comes on automatically, without me switching it on by the tower. I always turn it off by the correct way as well, so it couldn't be because of that.

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
try using a different power source. Also possible there is come loose component on the chasis of the computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if it is starting on its own...is it on a network? Some network interface cards have a wake on lan function that will allow a pc to start up on a signal from a remote location.

Humming, could be a fan rubbing against something or a build up a dirt in the fans. Cleaning it out with a can of compressed air might be a good idea (hold the fan blades so they do not spin---compressed air will spin the blades so fast that it will burn out the bearings)