Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card driver prob?

• Please log in to reply

ribl3t

ribl3t

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright I am still in the process of building my system. The Graphics Card that i bought when i was originally building it was a GeForce 6600 LE because it was very cheap. Now that I have a LITTLE more money laying around i went for a pretty minor upgrade. I bought a MSI GeForce 7600 from newegg. I recieved it 5 days after i had ordered it, took out my 6600 and put in my 7600, it worked fine but i hadent installed the drivers yet. So i put in the CD it automatically chose the driver that i needed so i clicked install. Then i went downstairs to grab a soda and when i came back up my screen was black but the monitor was not in sleep mode so its getting something from the graphics card, I restarted the computer and yet no picture. I am confident that all of the components are plugged in correctly. Idk im assuming that the driver messed it up but maybe there is something i am missing, and is there anyway that i can change the driver back, keep in mind i cannot see anything otherwise i could change it back. Maybe i could reset CMOS but i dont know if that would affect my Graphics Card at all prolly not.

thanks,
Derek

Edited by ribl3t, 20 April 2006 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Try booting into safe mode (press F8 during boot up). This loads default windows drivers. You can then go to the device in device manager and roll back the driver.

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, i tried but when i press/hold F8 it still gives me that black screen, so that makes it hard for me to get into device manager. But, it also means that its probably not my driver, correct? So even though the only thing that changed was the driver I am now thinking that it could be a motherboard problem. Because safemode does load all default drivers and yet I have no video. I have no clue where to go from here.
By the way thanks for the Welcome :-)

-Derek

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have u checked all the BIOS settings and also reset the CMOS it wont affect the GFX card.

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well i am going to reset the bios. But i cannot change the options in there because i can not see it. This has led me to believe that it is a hardware related problem as compared to a software problem. Correct me if i am wrong please.
-Derek

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, i got pretty despereate so i completely unassembled my computer. Then I re assembled it an plugged a third monitor into it. I got picture! I could see everything so i reinstalled the driver and plugged my 19in lcd back in. Again it worked! So i restarted my comp three times throughout the install process and everything was fine. Then I restarted again to try and get my wirless internet to get working again. This time no picture! So if i can get a little help on possible problems i can start troubleshooting part to part. I'm thinking powersupply but i would definately count on it.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Could you post system specs.

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sure.
Athlon 64 3500+
1 GB Corsair pc3200
MSI GeForce 7600 256MB
Asus K8N (excuse for a) Motherboard
400W Power Supply that came with my PowMax Case.
Maxtor Diamond Max 160 GB HDD

I think thats all you need, everything else is pretty much basic.

-Derek

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well, heres what I would do. Id put the old card back in just to make sure its not the monitor thats messing up. Then, if at all possible, Id test the new card on another known good system. See if you get the same results as you did on your system. Another thing I would check is that your PSU is actually pumpin out all 400 watts. A lot of the new cards out require a min of like 350watt if not more.
If you get teh same results on another system then you might need to RMA the card.
-P.

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah the monitor works on other comps and the card is still good aswell. Im starting to think PSU now so ill test it once i can get my hands on the right tools. Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I am going to splurge for a new PSU, yeah if anyone has a REASONABLE suggestion I will be ordering it next Friday Night (payday). Please post any suggestions as links so I don't find the wrong one!

-Derek

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hoho, every time i read these posts i want to buy an sli motherboard and another video card. hohoho.

ribl3t

ribl3t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright after more research and diagnosis i figured out my problem. The little risers that came with my motherboard are actually too small and my new graphics card pushes the board back just a little so metal is touching metal. I believe this is it becauase when i loosen the screws that secure my motherboard it works. Thanks for all of your help, Yeah you guys had no chance of knowing that.

- Derek

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats a new one, you should be able to get some new spacers, and if they are loose you could use PVC washers to raise the board up a bit but still be secure.