Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Anti virus?

• Please log in to reply

unbodi

unbodi

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello.

I'm looking for a good anti virus, the best in your opinion.
Money is not the problem and i prefer to be fully protected against everything there is out there. spyware remover is very importent to be built in.

Thanks in advance,
Unbodi

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
G'day mate,

Check out http://www.eset.com/ for NOD32. I think it is amazing.

It's not free, but it's not Norton. Although Norton has it's good points, the problem is that when it's running, it's an absolute resource hog. It completely bogs down your computer when a scan is running, updates take over your system, and even your boot speed is affected. And Norton doesn't protect against everything.

NOD32 is cheaper than Norton and McAffee. Once installed, the monitoring console will run in the background. When it needs an update, it gets one and tells you that it now has the latest version. When something malicious tries to intrude into your system, it stops it and notifies you immediately. It runs on very low resources so you will not see system performance degrade. I've been using it for about a year and a bit now, with no firewall protection, and I haven't had any viruses or anything mailicious on my system since. Definitely worth a look.

If you want some more info from me, contact me through either ICQ or MSN ([email protected])

Cheers:)

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi and thanks for your reply :whistling:

From what i heard, this are the best anti viruss out there:

Nod32
kaspersky
mcafee
Panda

So is nod32 better than all of them?

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

My humble opinion is that yes it is. I find NOD32 is always on the latest threats and constantly upgrading their services. McAffee will do the job, but it sucks up the resources more. I've been told that Panda is less secure than most anti-virus programs. Haven't heard much on Kaspersky. Never used it so I won't say anything about it.

My suggestion would be go with NOD32. But some other people will probably post some more suggestions with more info for you. Stick around a while and you should get some good suggestions. That way you have some options. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dockboy, 19 April 2006 - 07:34 AM.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok i'll wait for more post's.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nod 32 and kapersky are considered by most to be the best AVs, nod3 has the best heurustics so it had a greater chance of finding viruses that havent been found yet and has good removal rates(many AVs can find but not remove nasties). Kapersky has the largest virus database, so between the two there isnt much between them both have good points, if i had to chose it would probably be Nod32.

Mcaffe ranks in there with norton, usually you find you will get reccomended a free AV over mcaffee or norton, either AVG or i prefer Avast, Avast is free and has all the features of tha paid versions and has the best user interface in my opinion, simple, efficient and skinnable which is nice.

Panda is pretty good but i wouldnt pay for it over Avast and if i was paying it wouldnt be my first choice.

There is lots of contension on the subject of AVs, thats just my opinion some people use Norton and mcaffee and are happy with that, personally i dont go near them.

None of the best AVs usually have spyware detection specifically built in to my knowledge, many will pick up the worse elements as it would cinsider them viruses but things like tracking cookies and the minor stuff it usually doesnt scan for or have success in scanning, its generally reccomended to use specific spyware programs like the free adaware combined with spybot S&D because these are specific programs they have better detection rates and keep you safer, unlike antiviruses you can run these programs in conjunction with each other and not lose effectiveness. The adaware/spybot combo generally is very succesful and popular. If you go for one of the lesser AVs to get spyware detection you can sacrifice your security.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 April 2006 - 08:37 AM.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Kudos on that post warriorscot.

My setup: NOD32 + Spybot S&D Pro + Lavasoft AdAware Pro = Nothing wrong for the last year and a half.

P.S. - No firewall during that time either.

Edited by Dockboy, 19 April 2006 - 08:48 AM.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK so i think nod32 it is than!

But tell me if this is good:

nod32- AV
mcafee firewall
spysweeper/spybot S&D/ad aware

Do you think it will do the work+ wont make any problems?(someone told me that i should get one from each but i have all the 3 anti spywares listed above).

Should i delete 2 ?

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

Having more than one spyware app is not a problem, better to have too many than not enough. AdAware is for adware though, not spyware, but keep it anyways, still great to have. You should keep Spybot and Spysweeper. One program may have different entries in the databases, so one program may find something the other one won't and vice-versa. Redundancy is good to have too. So I would just leave them there, they're not hurting anything.

If you have a router, you have a firewall. If you want to look into some firewall apps however, take a look at ZoneAlarm, Tiny Firewall, and BitDefender. Those are some that I know work great. Even Windows Firewall will do, as long as you have NOD32 running. It is constantly scanning with a bevy of different scanner for different apps. Once installed you will see all the different scanners that will run on their own. It's so great.

Edited by Dockboy, 19 April 2006 - 09:49 AM.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok thanks for the help.

I'll go for nod32, the anti spywares listed above and mcafee firewall [But maybe i'll try zonealarm also :]

Cheers :whistling:

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Good luck. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks a very secure cocktail there, firewall you can probably do without with NOD32 if i remember it uses onaccess scanners like avast does essentially doing the job of a firewall just a little more passivley, slightly more risky but i have a router firewall as well as a pretty decent one built in to my motherboards lan software so im pretty secure and past the windows firewall havent needed anything else.

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have reviewed various commercial & noncommercial recommendations re: the "best" available AV software over the years. I find it curious that most websites I have visited at least mention Trend Micro's PcCillin and F-Secure among the others, whether free or pay. However, I have not yet seen their software mentioned on GeeksToGo postings that I have read. To be fair, I have reviewed only a handful of GTG postings re: "the best" AV software.

I was about to switch from the "dreaded" Norton AV to Trend Micro, but I would like to hear from those in the know first. Comments will be appreciated. Is there a reason why TM & F-Secure do not appear in the postings I've read? My latests readings suggest that PcCillin is about as good as they come?

Also, it seems from my readings that Norton has taken on the role of MS in the AV world, not complimentary to be sure. As for Avast and AVG, after what I've seen on friends computers I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. When it comes to scanning, I define the word "slow" as Avast or AVG. How does 5 hours, or more, appeal to anyone while scanning the C: drive?

Finally, since switching from MS IE & Outlook to Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird (for internet browser & email) I do not seem to need much in the way of protection anymore (no, I'm that nieve that I won't continue protection always). With MS products I found entries to delete daily using AdAware and/or Spybot. With Mozilla products, well, it's been a long time since I found anything "in the red". And I run scans regularly (at least 4 times a week).

Keep the faith.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
ProEd,

Put it this way, any time spent scanning your system for virsus and what have you, is time wasted. Nod32 is the way to go. Why, you ask? Well because it is ALWAYS scanning your system.

It runs in the background. All you see is a nice little icon in your system tray telling you that it is running and protecting. The cost is minimal compared to most AV apps out there today. The sheer speed of the thing is amazing. The instant that something bad pops up, band, Nod32 has it snagged, tagged, and bagged. It's gone before you even get the warnings most times.

It runs on almost no resources, so you can have it running on your system all the time, all the while you are doing your daily computer work, and you will never know that it is running. With multiple scanners in place and ready to go, one is always protected from the malicious content of the Internet.

In the last year and half, I have been running Nod32 with my fav spyware and adware programs. All the while, I was never protected by a firewall. I have not had a single problem with my computer since. With Norton, I always had problems. But that's another story.

In my opinion, Nod32 is one of the best, if not the best, Anti-Virus applications out on the market right now. Try the free 30-day copy from http://www.eset.com/ and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Two thumbs up in books.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I use the whole McAffee suite because it's free for Comcast users and it works fine. Blocked stuff when I'm downloading if there's a suspicious file, or if a program that shouldn't need the internet is accessing it. Pretty spiffy so far.

And doesn't seem to be a resource hog. I tried AntiVir for a while but it needed updating almost every day, even twice sometimes it seemed :whistling:

Try different ones and see what you like best.