Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Anti virus?

• Please log in to reply

KenshinX

KenshinX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

G'day mate,

Check out http://www.eset.com/ for NOD32. I think it is amazing.

It's not free, but it's not Norton. Although Norton has it's good points, the problem is that when it's running, it's an absolute resource hog. It completely bogs down your computer when a scan is running, updates take over your system, and even your boot speed is affected. And Norton doesn't protect against everything.

NOD32 is cheaper than Norton and McAffee. Once installed, the monitoring console will run in the background. When it needs an update, it gets one and tells you that it now has the latest version. When something malicious tries to intrude into your system, it stops it and notifies you immediately. It runs on very low resources so you will not see system performance degrade. I've been using it for about a year and a bit now, with no firewall protection, and I haven't had any viruses or anything mailicious on my system since. Definitely worth a look.

If you want some more info from me, contact me through either ICQ or MSN (online_hsx@hotmail.com)

Cheers:)

i can't agree more, it is the best, plus it tackles adware, spyware, and every other piece of malicous software out there, not to mention it updates daily so you are always up to date, even on christmas!

Advertisements

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So i downloaded the trail version of nod32.

I'll have it for a week and than i'll decide.. (:

Thanks everyone :whistling:

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I tried AntiVir for a while but it needed updating almost every day, even twice sometimes it seemed

Needing updating everyday is a good thing,

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
NOD32 updates itself whenever a new update is released by Eset. You get a nice little pop-up in the corner that says NOD32 is now running the latest update in definitions. I love it!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah Avast is updated every day, usually two or three times its not unusual.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I know updating everyday is good, what I meant was I'd be playing a game and the game would stop and the desktop would come up and a little bugger would be there saying "Updated the AntiVir list!" Then because of my crap computer I used to have, it would take forever to get back into the game.

So updating everyday is good, but not when it interupts my gaming :whistling:

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
NOD32 does not interrupt games or full screen programs at all. You'll never notice a loss of performance either.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i dont notice much in avast either, a message pops up but it appears in the corner and goes away.