Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minor to a major major problem

• Please log in to reply

fairdinato

fairdinato

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey all, usually I wouldn't ask for help on a forum like this but I've not gone to sleep yet I've been so stressed about it all..

Basically yesterday I noticed that my CD drive wasn't being recognised.. Not too sure why but apparantly i-tunes or nero often causes this problem... Anyways it just wasn't appearing in explorer so I did what both nero and i-tunes suggest and deleted the "upperclass" out of the registry or something.. I did back it up...

Then on my next startup my mouse and keyboard do not function at all.. The only button I can press is the on and off button. the mouse is motionless as is the keyboard..

When restarting I can't even get into safe mode.. I got on once but my laptop froze which was such a pain in the arse.

It's literally the last 2 days that I've been noticing problems. It's really annoying me

By the way I'm on another PC as my laptop (acer aspire 3500) is totally unusable

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so where you're at now is that your LAPTOP won't let you in...basically because the keyboard nor mouse work at all...so you can get into windows but you can't do anything cus you can't click or type right? no safe mode (is that because it won't boot to safe mode or because pressinig f8 doesn't do anything?) can you get into bios? do you have access to a usb mouse (or are you using a usb mouse and that's what's not working as a mouse?...in which case..does it have a touch pad?..does that work?) or usb keyboard? (scary question but don't be afraid yet)..do you have your recovery cds from acer? (or preferably an actual xp cd?) did you use acer's marvelous backup tool when you first got the computer to make a backup/recovery set?

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

ok...so where you're at now is that your LAPTOP won't let you in...basically because the keyboard nor mouse work at all...so you can get into windows but you can't do anything cus you can't click or type right? no safe mode (is that because it won't boot to safe mode or because pressinig f8 doesn't do anything?) can you get into bios? do you have access to a usb mouse (or are you using a usb mouse and that's what's not working as a mouse?...in which case..does it have a touch pad?..does that work?) or usb keyboard? (scary question but don't be afraid yet)..do you have your recovery cds from acer? (or preferably an actual xp cd?) did you use acer's marvelous backup tool when you first got the computer to make a backup/recovery set?

so many questions :blink: Cheers!

I'm loading up safe mode as we speak (for the first time its actually working) but when I get to the log on screen I get the problem of the mouse not working! soo rubbish!

When I first installed XP I did make a backup actually.. no idea where the disk is.. But i think that and the XP disk are at uni (I'm at home now and wasn't planning on going back to uni for a couple of weeks). But even if I did have a recovery disk with me now there isn't much I could do due to not being able to use the keyboard or mouse.. and yes I did try a usb mouse, I use it all the time usually.

Strange thing is that I can press F2 or F8 on the bootup to get into bios or safe mode but when actually in XP nothing happens

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically you CAN use the keyboard UNTILL you get into windows? let's attempt a system restore

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

<credit for canned speach ~ Keith>

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks I'll give that a go, though it seems really hard to get into safe mode.. I must be pressing F8 wrong or something.. I've only been able to access it twice! :S

I'll let you know :whistling:

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
:whistling: this is a joke. I logged onto Safe Mode with a command prompt and all I got was a log on screen.. Where I can't actually get onto cos I can't type of click anything!

Looks like I am officially screwed ! :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe...not completely...at least not yet...can you get access to an xp cd (it would be preferential to use your own)

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
My XP cd is in bristol (Where i go to uni) and I'm not there at the moment unfortunately.. But that brings me back to the original problem that the CD drive isn't open and I can't open it up!

Hmm :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a cd drive can always be opened....now whether it works once you open it is another story....you can upen up a paper clip and stick it in the hole in the drive and it will activate the spring latch and open the drive up...now owhether that will let you actually use the cd that's in there is not assured...but...

also...by chance is the lt still under warranty?

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I presume it is under warranty as I bought it in September.. This week was the first problem I've ever had with it..

I am assuming that the CD drive would not work as it did not appear in explorer before I decided to go and mess around with the registry (even though this is what most sites suggested)

Edited by fairdinato, 19 April 2006 - 08:38 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's a possibility that you deleted the wrong item in the registry...if you can get your hands on an XP cd that would be great....i wanna see if we can restore that reg backup that you made from the recovery console

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Can it be any xp cd or does it have to be my xp CD that I got with my laptop? My dad also has an acer laptop, so may be worth a shot..

I'm a bit anxious though as to whether even with the disk I'll be able to navigate.. as at the moment the only places I can navigate around are in the bios and safe mode menu.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well RC will be independant of your OS..so we hopefully should be able to navigate...your dad's xp cd should work IF it's an ACTUAL xpcd not an acer recovery cd

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've just e-mailed him asking him for his XP Cd.. whether he has it or not I dunno..

Such an annoyance as today was meant to be my revision day! I downloaded all my revision files onto my laptop yesterday too :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the poop always hit's the fan when it's spinning the fastest