Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My system's slower than Lenny in "Of Mice and Men"

• Please log in to reply

tgfny

tgfny

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Running XP Pro with SP2. Have a Gig of RAM. Outlook is especially slow. Can someone help me get my groove back? Can't even get task manager to open right now.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm doing fine on the malware front. Doing all this shizzat as we type.http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108836&hl=slow

My HD is split into a C and D. Can I get rid of D and make the whole thing C? This is for the defrag thingy. Telling me I have to have 15%

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know what shizzat means, but seeing as how badly your computer was infected, I think the "shizzat" was a godsend.

You cannot remove the d: drive and add it to c:\ with windows alone...you would need a third party tool

Partition Magic is one such tool

System Rescue CD
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
includes Partd, a Partition Magic linux clone you can download for free.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I don't know what shizzat means, but seeing as how badly your computer was infected, I think the "shizzat" was a godsend.

You cannot remove the d: drive and add it to c:\ with windows alone...you would need a third party tool

Partition Magic is one such tool

System Rescue CD
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
includes Partd, a Partition Magic linux clone you can download for free.

That was my PC at home. This one is my laptop.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then how do we know this one is not full of "shizzat"?

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

then how do we know this one is not full of "shizzat"?

People often refer to me as a 3rd party tool full of shizzat.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you didn't get my meaning....have you checked this new pc for malware--and not you, I mean has someone in malware checked it...automatic tools are not as good as a trained eye

why don't you run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This free partioning tool maybe worth a look: http://partitionlogi...g.uk/index.html

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

Yet you tell me to post it here? Hmm, Ritz or slow computer. I'll get back to ya shortly!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
post= BAD

attach = GOOD

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts