Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

administrator setting

• Please log in to reply

tinak00

tinak00

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just purchased an mp3 player and I have been trying to install its software on my computer.
I use windows me. In the instruction manual for the player, it says that I have to install the software under the administrator setting. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that. When I start my computer, it asks me to log on and I just enter my name and password. There is no "administrator" option. I have tried installing the software under my name (thinking that I AM the administrator) but it won't work and the mp3 player people tell me that I have to be in the admin setting.

I am completely inept when it comes to computers....but I desperately need my music!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
:)

Edited by tinak00, 19 April 2006 - 10:48 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for ME i think what you would want to do is boot to safe mode then when you go to pick your user press ctrl alt del which should bring up a login window...type administrator for the user and try a blank password....see if that lets you in as admin then try to install...if not let me know

tinak00

tinak00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried going into safe mode but it just says "bypassing startup" and then takes me directly to my usual main screen. It doesn't ask what user to log onto or anything like that.
I restarted again and just tried typing "administrator" for the user and leaving a blank password. It let me in, but I think that it just read administrator as a name, instead of as a setting. It also let me in with the name John and no password. I tried reinstalling the software anyway, but it didn't work.
I also tried staying in safe mode, but it won't read my disk under safe mode.

So i don't know.

my head hurts

:)

thank you so much for all of your help!
I really appreciate it!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the software is on cd..try this

do start > run > cmd > enter

then type

runas /user:<yourcomputer'sname\administrator d:\setup.exe

(the above line assumes that <yourcomputername> will be replaced by you with your actual computer's name..and that the actual setup file from the cd is indeed setup.exe and that your cdrom drive is d:...if any of these aren't true..change the code accordingly)
it should ask you for the administrator password..leave that blank and let me know what happens

tinak00

tinak00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to run cmd it just says "windows cannot find cmd."
I went into
control panel > users and then I added a new user. Afterwards, it showed my current user name, the new name I added and "Admin"
I logged into admin and tried to install the software but still nothing happens.
I am not sure if there is just a problem with the software, or if the Admin setting I logged into is really the admin setting or if it is just a setting with that name (like joe or tina). Is there any way to tell?

I don't know. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

In the manual it says
"1. If using Windows Me then the installation must be done under the administrator setting.
2. Place the CD disc into the CD-ROM drive.
3. Please copy the contents onto the hard drive.
4. Open the CD disc and installation will begin"

Well, I think I have logged onto the admin setting. I put the cd into the drive. The computer reads it and then the "driver (E:)" icon appears and a "USB Driver 1.22" window pops up. I click on "setup" and then another little window opens saying "Setup complete, please restart."
I restart my computer and then nothing happens. if i click on the icon or try reinserting the disk, the same thing happens. I tried copying the contents onto my hard drive (like it says in the manual) but I
am unable to get to the contents. When I try to open the "Driver (E:)" icon that setup thing happens. when I try to copy it, it just says that i cannot move or copy the item.

Am I missing something?

tinak00

tinak00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I was fiddling around with the stuff on my computer this morning.
I went to
my computer >control panel>add new hardware
just to see what would happen

It located the mp3 player.
I knew that that part was ok because the mp3 player was ready. It was just the software that wasn't working. Well, anyway, I chose the option which enables windows to find new and/or update the current drivers for the new hardware. It started scanning my computer for new hardware and then adding the software needed.
I don't really know what happened. But it worked!!
YAY!!
I HAVE MUSIC AGAIN!!

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I really, really appreciate it!!