Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install fully.

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey,

I've had this problem for a while now - whenver I try to install programmes (some work, some don't) it says that there has been an error, usually saying that the "setup.cab" file is missing. When i try to "retry" it doesn't work and if I click "ignore" it says that there has been a "Catasrophic Failure".

I was attempting just now to install some software that came with my Epson D68 printer, and this problem occured, leaving the program partially installed but not able to run.

Any ideas what is causing this? I have already checked for spyware/viruses and there are none (as far as I can tell)

I would really appreciate any help as this keeps on happening.

Thanks,

Albino :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I think this is a "CRC error" does that mean it's something wrong with the CD i'm using or is it my computer, because it seems to be doing this for a lot of CD's!

In any case, will follow everything you've said.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through post 2 then you could try the software from the Epson site

http://esupport.epso...E065427446AE8D9

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ah....couldn't find that before.....thanks.

Is it still worth doing everything you said though?

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It won't hurt and should be done within the hour, tops

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks Keith, appreciate the help.

Have just installed the desired programmes with no problems. I guess it was the CD then. Nonetheless, still proceding with what you suggested.

Thanks again.

Edited by Albino, 20 April 2006 - 01:18 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can be the software CD, fortunately with Epson you can download everything from their site, and if you contact them they will usually provide links for any third party software if necessary

If it happens with other software, you could look for a firmware update for the CD Drive, the essential thing is to get the correct one