Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with DVD System Recovery Problems

• Please log in to reply

JacqueK

JacqueK

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I hope I'm giving enough information, if you need more I'd be glad to offer it.

My husband bought me a Gateway LapTop (Please, I know people don't like Gateway... but I didn't pay for it, not my choice.) When we bought it about a month ago, it worked fine.

About 2 weeks ago the DVD Drive stopped working. I figured something was wrong with the drive itself, since I rarely go on the internet with the computer, and I definately haven't opened any suspicious emails or downloaded anything off the web.

I took the computer to Best Buy (we had the "service plan" there) and the guy said it was an virus and that they were going to charge $80 to completely wipe off the harddrive and reset to the defauls settings and programs. Now, I'm not that great with computers, but with my old system I'd done that several times by myself and felt confident to do that, so I was not going to pay someone $80 to insert a CD and click the start button.

I have a "System Recovery DVD" which also has "drivers and applications" on it, from Gateway.

So I came home and tried to do it myself (hitting F11 for the system recovery screen!) and it won't read my disk. So I called gateway, they reset my bios, and had me try again. It still won't read the disk in the system recovery screen.

Is there anything I can do myself that I haven't tried? Or am I stuck paying someone to fix this for me?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The guy at best buy is a twit...viruses do not stop dvd's from working unless they have really hoarked up your machine. Since that is the only issue, the odds of if being a virus are slim.

What do you mean by "not working"

Will it read a cd? A dvd? Does it shwo in MY COMPUTER. Does it show in device manager

start >run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

If it is there, right click and uninstall it, then reboot--windows will reinstall your drivers on reboot and see if if works then.

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I had figured he was full of it :whistling:

It won't read CD's or DVD's... and I just did the start>run> and uninstalled, reinstalled my driver and it still doesn't work...

It tries to read it, I hear it thinking. But then it just doesn't read anything. And if I look at it in "My Computer" it just shows up empty

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install/uninstall any kind of software to burn cds or dvds, particularly roxio/adaptec?

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I haven't uninstalled anything that I can think of... and I definately havn't installed anything.

The system came with nero (I believe) on it... but that's it. And I've never used it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have, I assume, tried different cds/dvds and floppies (since they do go bad)

Just so we can eliminate malware, Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not necessarily looking for malware. I want to see what is running the background. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, running to get my thumb drive from my car! I actually am not on the problem computer... But I've got a hijack this log already on that computer!

I'll be back in 5 minutes or so!

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've attatched my hijackthis log from the problem PC

I'm sure there's probably something there :whistling: I'm just wanting to completely wipe the system and start over, this time with a good AV program!

Attached Files

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I've posted this over in malware now, and hopefully they can help me out :whistling:

Thank you so much for your time!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you actually do have one malware program here---mywebsearch--it should not be causing this issue though--when they finish clearing you, and if the problem persists--please return to this thread

you have tried several different cds in the cd/dvd drive, right?

Advertisements

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes! When the problem first started I thought it was just the disk, but I've tried at least 15 disks, and I've also tried those disks on another computer (worked fine on the other computer)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I see you have "the crusty one" :whistling: helping you in malware (one of my favorite folks)

Let us know how that turns out...also, I see you have Nero cd-burning software on there....(I'm just noting this for myself for later--sometimes it causes issues)

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So far he's been wonderful help to me!

I am still having problems with my Disk Drive... although I'm waiting for his latest reply!

I'm so glad that I've found this site, you all are so helpful!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you now appear clean....

if the problem still persists

start > run > Nero
(or it might be)
start > run > Ahead

look for a way to update these programs. There was an early, buggy release of a Nero component that caused issues--I want to ensure yours is uptodate before moving on

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm in Nero, but I can't seem to find anything about updates.

Ok, I found nero online with this system, but since it was the basic Nero that came with the computer (Express 6) I don't know how to update from that.

Edited by JacqueK, 20 April 2006 - 07:58 AM.