Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant seem up share documents and a printer

• Please log in to reply

vickrn

vickrn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi there, can someone help, i followed the tutorial on here for sharing a printer and documents but it didnt work. I get an error saying that i need permission to share network, something weird. I already enabled file sharing and printer sharing. I went throught the add printer and tried to search for my printer and it says network could not be found. I have a router connected to my wired desktop computer that has the printer connected to it, I also have a wireless laptop with a wireless adapter that i want to be able to print and share the documents taht i have on my desktop computer. I went throught and set up the network to be secured , please someone help, thanks alot.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, and welcome tro geeks to go!

Try this on the HOST computer:

Start > Control Panel > (Left Pane) Switch to classic view > Administrative tools > Local Security Policy > Click OK (if asked) > Double click "Access this computer from the net..." > Click add user or group > type "everyone" > click ok, exit, reboot, retry.

vickrn

vickrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the host comouter would be my wireless laptop computer?????????????????????

vickrn

vickrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
can someone help me start from the beginining to share documents and a printer, the easiest way, I really need to do this, but it doesnt work, i think that im doing something wrong. Can someone provide me with all the steps, thanks i really appreciate it.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The HOST computer is the computer with the files (that you want to share) and the computer with the printer connected to it.

FOLLOW THEM STEPS ON THAT COMPUTER.

vickrn

vickrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hi there again. ok i did the steps that you provided me with. The weird thing is that when i browse for a printer, no printer comes , the only thing that comes up is microsoft windows network in that shared printer box. Now when i select the option-connect to this printer i type in all my info in that box, i made sure that both computer have the same workgroup name, ok i get this error, windows cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. what else can i do????????

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Maybe you can try this:

Have enabled the folders/printer to share (the hand underneath the folder/printer). Here is a helpful link: http://www.practical...filesharing.htm

1. Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup name. If both Windows XP, right click "My Computer" and click "Properties". Go to the "Computer Name" tab and make sure both computers are on the same workgroup.

2. Disable firewalls and ping each computer.
on one machine, go to Start > run and typ cmd. Type "ipconfig" no quotes and click enter. Note the ip address down. Then go the other machine and go to the same place and type "ping *ipaddress" (space between ping and the up address you wrote)(e.g. ping 192.168.1.100). You should get replies and do this vice versa. If all replies.

3. Try searching in my network place for the files/printer. If not, search by computer name. That sometimes work. Computer name can be found where you found workgroup

vickrn

vickrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks alot for everyone help, I really appreciate it. Im doing to try it and see if it works.