Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new MB and CPU help

• Please log in to reply

starcraft

starcraft

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
hi peeps , i just bought a new motherboard ( Gigabyte nForce 430 S939 PCIE MATX DUAL CH DDR400X4 TV OUT ) and CPU ( AMD 64 3700+ ) and everything looks to be connected correctly but when i switch it on nothing seems to happen, im just wondering if my PSU isnt powerfull enough as its 300W only, could this be the case or is it something else u think ? i mean the PSU says it supperts AMD but mind u my last CPU was only 32bit and the motherboard was really old so hmm ? im just hoping its not the parts that i orderd thats the problem...

any advice would be great thanks

star :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried going through our troubleshooting guide for newbuilds its in the guides forum, it has some steps to go though that will help you narrow it down.

You are pushin the PSU a bit though 300W is a bit low and if its a generic one then i would get a new PSU.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
just a thought , the new board has a 24 pin socket for the power and my psu is only 20 but on the socket there was a small cap on the 4 extra pin sockets could it be that my board needs one with 24 insted of 20 .. had a look at the guide and im not even getting beeps, absolutly nothing happens , the fan doesnt even come on

thanks for ur reply

Edited by starcraft, 19 April 2006 - 03:08 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I agree with warriorscot I would definitley get a new PCU

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
That sounds like it is ur PSU I would go for a 500W or higher.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The new motherboard does need a 24 pin AND a 4pin CPU power, check the manual it will show you where the 4pin is if you dont know.

You get 20 to 24 pin adapters but they arent an ideal solution.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok i managed to get the pc up and running so i formated the drive and it was installing windows then done its reset but now it just stays on teh start up screen saying verifying pool data .. whats wrong now :whistling:

thanks for replies btw

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
How did u get it up and working im having the same problems with my kn8 sli by abit

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i got a 24 pin PSU and changed the case, i think my old cases switch wasnt working either.. i just wish i could get windows to work now :whistling: looks like im gonna have to format another HDD and loose all my data :blink: