Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A+ LaserJet question

• Please log in to reply

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
High everyone. Man I love this forum. Every problem I've had, you guys (and gals) have resolved. Today I just have a question. I'm taking an A+ class. On our present test there is a question that I cannot answer with the info supplied in the text. Here goes.
[b]Q. Which of the following components in a laser printer are most likely to cause a paper jam?
A. Fusing Roller B. Erase Lamp C. Photosensitive Drum D. Primary Corona E. Scanning Mirror
F. Laser Mirror
I know the fuser can cause jams but our book doesn't spend much time on jams associated with these other parts. DO YOU KNOW??? Thanx

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, I know :-). Sometimes it is best for the student to work it out. You say that the fuser can cause jams, but what do all the other parts listed do, can they cause jams? If none of the other parts can cause a jam or is not likely to do so, then the answer is clear.

In order to cause a jam, it has to touch the paper, but in addition it has to be a primary means of moving the paper as that is the cause of a jam, not correctly moving the paper.

So, which of these touch the paper and in addition which is a primary means of moving the paper?

A Fusing roller
B Erase lamp
C Photosensitive Drum
D Primary Corona
E Scanning Mirror
F Laser Mirror

From that list there is only one (as a hint) which both touches the paper and is a primary means of moving the paper. There is one other which touches the paper, the rest do not.

So, what do you think?

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
OK the fuser is the only thing on the list that touches the paper and moves the paper.
The drum never actually touches the paper does it? The way I've interpreted it, the particles
LEAP off the drum to the paper, so the only thing I can see touching the paper at a previous point
would be the transfer corona . Is that right? But it's not on the list.

So... the drum must touch the paper(not a primary paper mover). Right?
The thing that threw me on this question is it says "Select all that apply."

The Michael Meyers book just doesn't go into enuff detail.

Am I right so far? Thanx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The problem with the A+ cert is that it never takes into account the real world

The biggest cause of paper jams is the dang idiots who spill coffee on the printer....that and the stupid plastic rollers that have nothing to do with the the printing process...

I'm not sure I agree with Kemasa's exact verbage there--the other componant he is referring to does not actually move the paper--at least not in some of the lasers I have ripped apart...rather, it is friction against the componant--something acting on the componant, that moves the paper along....I am probably splitting hairs....

I still say it is the dang coffee drinkers....

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The drum does touch the paper, otherwise you would not get a sharp image, but without the rollers to feed the paper it would not be able to move the paper. Now, they might claim that it could also be a paper jam area, but my response would be that it would be the rollers, not the drum itself. So, yes, you are correct in my opinion. There are many other things which can cause a paper jam, including the paper itself with low quality paper and the whole paper path, especially as it wears.

Spilling coffee on the printer is not a problem unless it goes inside. It would be a problem if they spill it on the paper and then stick it inside. If they spill coffee inside, well, then that is a serious problem. Yes, the rollers are the main problem as they often get slick over time.

Real world? What is that? :-)