Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Temp folder causing problems!

• Please log in to reply

vex2

vex2

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My Temp folder is completely slowing my computer down, it just keeps crashing now and it's really slow. I have only 5GB left on my hardrive and I've removed many things but my Temp folder has almost 30GB worth of junk!

I CAN'T REMOVE IT THOUGH!

I can't open the folder without the computer crashing, i did a search on TMP files and the computer found so many it crashed when I tried deleting them. I tried deleting them through MS-DOS but still no luck! I then created my own .bat file with the necessary lines to delete the contents of the file and it didn't work!

I don't know what else to do?

PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vex2...

Have you tried running Disk Cleanup from System Tools?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 April 2006 - 07:26 AM.

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Maybe you could try renaming it "Temp1", then create another file called "Temp", then delete "Temp1"?

vex2

vex2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Tried Disk Cleanup from System Tools and renaning it, no luck at all. Ends up crashing or doesn't respond.

Such a pain!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try deleteing just a few files at a time. Will they delete that way? There are limits on how much a machine can handle at one time. Try 20 or so files and see if they will delete.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just a small suggestion which helped me once on deleting a folder with files. Right-click on the folder and select properties. Just check to see if somehow it is set as a Read Only. Uncheck if it is. Where it says to include for subfolders/files, check that and see if it will delete.

I've had some which still wouldn't delete after all that, but it's worth a try.

Ron