Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

error code beeps with new cpu installed !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Having decided to upgrade my aging desktop, ( as i cant afford a new mb/cpu just yet,,), i have gone out and added a further 512 of memory, and a 2.0 ghz cpu to replace the old 1.4 cpu.

The memory installed fine, and the computer boots into xp no problem,,, exept that when i ran cpu-z,,, it said the memory was 2048gb,, instead of the 1024 that is actually installed ???
The memory is pc800 rdram, installed in pairs ie/ 4 x 256mb.
This aside,, everything was running fine and as normal.

THEN,,,,,,I carefully replaced the socket 423 1.4ghz cpu,, with the newer socket 423 2.0ghz cpu.
When the computer booted up,,, it appeared to do so as normal.
Booted into windows normally,,, system set itself up,, Then,, i started to hear a series of beeps,,
Obviously something is wrong somewhere,,,,, The computer opens xp properly with no problems apart from the beeps. I am able to surf the net ect,,,but the beeps made me turn off quickly.
The 2.0ghz cpu shows up in the startup menu,,, and cpu-z confirms its there also ????

I checked with gigabyte to make sure the " 8TX " motherboard would support this 2.ghz cpu,, and according to their website,, it does,,, so the cpu is definetly compatible.
I received an email from their tech support to say that the cpu should install without any need to update the bios,,,, but to make sure that when i boot after the cpu has been installed,,,, to go into the bios and set up the " LOAD OPTOMISED BIOS " ????? i cannot find this anywhere ??????
Unless its the same term , but under a different name,, i cant find it ,,,

I have taken out the cpu, and put back in the original 1.4 ghz,,,,,, everything booted up normally,, and the computer is working exactly as it should,, no beeps at all,,, ???????
Still 2048gb memory though ???

I would really appreciate some advice here,,, got to be something to do with the bios,, or indeed the cpu.
Bought the cpu from a very trusting source that i have used many times before,, so i trust the cpu to be in excellent condition,, which it is,,, no bent pins or anything,,, looks brand new.
PLEASE,,,,,HELP......

Cheers,,, kev.

Advertisements